Chapter XX

The incandescent rays of dawn shone upon the fallen soldiers over the bloody field. A warm gust of wind skipped through their soiled hair, as if kissing them off to sleep.
There was light, but ironically, the only thing covering the ground was death. It was finally done.. yet it felt devastating to see everyone in such a state.

Why is there always war? Why is there always hate? Despair? Loneliness? Darkness?...
Why can't all creatures live in harmony as they were ordered to? Why did men have to learn the concept of possession? Everyone here had a future. Some were yet to find their soulmate. Some already did, & funded a family. Why..? Why did they all go knowing that they put their lives on the line? Were they really fighting for the kingdom?...
It felt painful realizing that fate didn't have any power over our death anymore. Anybody could now take our lives. Anybody.. It needed for them to take the path of death to march to a world without all of this. A world where hate wouldn't exist.. A world where we would all smile, genuinely. It wasn't about having, it was about giving, helping.. Wasn't this world created for that?

Despite being so, I believe there is still good in this world. And this is why they kept fighting. To protect this small ounce of good and sanity in this world.. to show that mankind isn't made of greed and arrogance, but of hope and light. This is what I believe we should all be fighting for, and not for some silly territory we could share. Yet, the disease infected most of us.. except for a few that own a heart big and strong enough to cure the injured.
I believe that's what all of them were. People with hope and dreams.
This battle will remain engraved into my heart. Never will I forget them and their wide smiles.

I was still confused as to why I was still alive, while he sacrificed himself. The two corrupted kings fought to their death, having left earth in peace.

flashback

"You know, [F/N], I'm kind of an old guy."
"You're like 25!"
He chuckled.
"Something is keeping me young, something that you will discover soon enough.. But the point isn't here."
"Huh?.."
"I want you to live on.. and fill your large heart with the remaining good in this world. Travel around the seas.. and do what my corrupted heart couldn't. Give hope to the lost. Send good to evil hearts, show them the right path. Show them..
that life is the most precious gift human kind could ever receive."

flash back end

Sinbad was an evil man. He wished for more and more power, and manipulated the weaker to reach higher. I perfectly knew such a way of living would leave him with a dark soul.. yet his red heart beat at large pumps. He had experienced all kind of things.
He probably wouldn't go to that world of peace.

He wanted me to bear the weight of being good. Because, being nice isn't easy. It is easy to steal a dropped wallet.. yet it is a little less to find the one who dropped it and give it back.
Was I able to carry on his last wish?.. I was so weak.. yet he still looked at me with a smile as his own blood stained his skin. I couldn't protect him.

"[F/N], I'd be very sad if you died. You deserve a better life than the one I have gifted you with..
Please, do see the world. Bring your friends with you. The world isn't on maps and our books, it's out there. And I've seen it.. oh, what a place. The scent of foreign flowers.. the way the sky looks different from a place to another..
[F/N], this world is beautiful. It was painted by the finest brushes, and the most wonderful colors. Oh, what I have seen and touched.. I wish for you to see and touch the same.

I must depart for another one now. I won't forget what I've seen. I won't forget you. Ah.. [F/N]?.."

His lips felt cold. It was like they were numb. They were chapped as well.. How barbaric.
It didn't matter in the midst of a moment like this. When chaos surrounded us, and the cold of winter engulfed our bodies, I believed that all that mattered was our colliding lips.

I love you, Sinbad. I always will.. I feel disappointed that I'm not able to tell it to you.
To make up for it, I'll explore the world for you. I'll see things you never did, and savor foods you never tasted. I will let everyone know the tales of Sinbad and his nine generals.
Well, ten. I just counted myself in. I hope you don't mind.
You never mind anything.. You idiot.

Idiot..

---

"Hey, hey, aunt [F/N]?"
"Oh, yes?"
"We can't go to sleep."
"How can't you? It's rather late at night now."
"We want a bedtime story!"
"I have to leave for the west in a few minutes."
"Pleeeeaaaaaaaase?"
Sighs.
"Alright. Sit down and pull up your blankets."
"Hehe."

"Long ago, when four kingdoms ruled the world, a young man named Sinbad...."

"I'll miss you, auntie!"
"Me too!"
"Me too~!"
"I'll miss you too, my little treasures."
"Will you come back?"
"Of course."
I grinned.
"And I'll tell you about the tales of Sinbad again."
"Yeah! I'm the cool King Sinbad!"
"No, I'm the king Sinbad!"
"Nuh, you'll be Ja'Far."
"But Ja'Far is a meanie! I'm not a meanie!"

"You're right, Sinbad. The sky looks different here.. And the sea is warmer here.
I've made it into the world, Sin.
Thank you.. all of you."

Thank you.

Outsider END
Wednesday, January 18th, 2017
©︎ UnusualDelicacy