Chapter Twenty-One: Will

Kidnap My Heart 

Chapter 21: Will

After the whole cuddle-rape incident, I figured it was best to wait a few days to finally get back at Emma for all of the pranks she’d pulled on me when she was hiding in the walls. That was already kind of a punishment in and of itself, honestly. I hadn’t really thought of that possibility when I’d crashed on her bed—my bed, technically, but she’d officially claimed it as her own.

I mean, I’d slept with girls before and slept in the same bed as them, but they didn’t mind the sleep-induced cuddling or the morning wood. In fact, they liked it, but Rage was a different case. I was lucky I was still able to get morning wood after what happened with her.

Emma didn’t do anything to get back at me or pull any pranks for the first few days, which was weird. I was hoping she would wait for me to strike, but I hadn’t thought she would. After three days, I decided I’d waited long enough. It was time for the games to begin.

I waited for Emma to fall asleep. After three prank-free nights, she’d gotten comfortable—as comfortable as she could be in circumstances like these, anyway. She freely fell asleep without worrying about what I might do. I quietly got up and stood at the side of her bed, staring down at her sleeping figure. She looked so peaceful as she slept that I almost felt bad for what I was about to do. She looked uncharacteristically angelic. She wasn’t even snoring yet. She was just breathing out slowly and quietly, her chest rising with every breath.

“Oh, damn it,” I muttered. I couldn’t start off with such a mean prank. Even if she did saran wrap my clothes to my bed and staple my pants together, I couldn’t disturb her peaceful sleep this way. I’d start off with something else.

My original plan had been to place two or three of those Red-Hot candies between Emma’s teeth and lips so she’d wake up with a terrible blister, but that was going too far, even for me. In the end, I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I crashed back down on my make-shift bed on the ground. I would do something else in the morning if I woke up before her, which I usually did. Emma wasn’t a morning person.

Just as I closed my eyes, it started. The snoring. Oh, damn it.

***

I woke up around eleven in the morning. The light from the windows streamed through the slightly open curtains and hit me right on the face. I opened one eye and glanced over at Emma. Still snoring away. What a surprise.

I felt bad for her future husband. The poor guy was never going to get a good night’s sleep with her around. Maybe he wouldn’t sleep in the same bed as her, anyways. Emma came from a rich family; they were probably the kind of family that married for business, not pleasure. Or maybe that was just a stereotype. I had no idea. I’d never discussed marriage with anyone—certainly not a girl like Emma.

At the same time, it was hard to imagine her with a guy who didn’t appreciate just how fascinating and naturally gorgeous she was, a guy who wouldn’t disregard her snoring for a chance to be with her every night. I couldn’t even remember what Rage looked like with makeup on, and I didn’t feel any need to remember. Like I’d said before, she was naturally beautiful.

I slammed my head against my pillow, hoping to feel some of the ground on my head. I needed a good shove back into reality. “Snap out of it, Will. Don’t do this to yourself,” I muttered, shaking my head. No fraternizing with the enemy. That would be a foolish mistake. I wanted to sleep with her, sure, but that was it. She would be just another notch on the bedpost—nothing more, nothing less. I couldn’t let that change.

Feeling the need to do something to distract myself from my traitorous thoughts, I sat up and glanced around the room for an idea. I didn’t want to give her a blister with those Red-Hot candies, but I wanted to do something. But what?