12. Secrets

A/N: I am sooo sooo soooooooo sorry it's been like a million years since I've updated. I'm so sorry I went on a trip and I've been sick ever since. This chapter is kinda domestic you know but I promise soon it'll get good and juicy with Lena's mom and stuff. I'm studying for big tests so I have almost no free time to write, so the updates will either take a while or be short. Thank you guys for all your support...it's insane! Hope you enjoy this chapter. :))

Kara rushed into work, completely unaware of the chaos that was about to unfold. The second she exited the elevator, coffee and lunch in hand, a swarm of coworkers enveloped her, all of their loud voices blurring into white noise. Kara's blue eyes widened, and she bent her head down to plow through the mass. She failed. A sense of panic overwhelmed her. Why was everyone asking her questions?

Kara waved her hands, squeezing her eyes shut. The voices quieted down. "I have no idea what's going on, but can you please give me a least a minute to get settled?"

The reporters looked at each other, then continued to berate Kara with questions as she sped to her desk. Exasperated, she smoothed her sweater, desperately looking for James amidst everyone else. She finally made eye contact with him, rushing to his office. Once inside, she slammed the glass doors shut behind her, leaning against them and letting out a deep breath.

James stood up, chuckling. He appeared equally surprise. "Looks like Kara Danvers might just be more popular than Supergirl right now."

"What?" Kara gasped. She adjusted her lopsided glasses. "H-How..."

She trailed off when she noticed her face and Lena's on almost every screen behind James, news with titles like "L-Corp CEO dating Catco employee" and "A Luthor kisses meek reporter". Kara groaned, rubbing her neck. She was suddenly reminded of the news Lena had told her the night before. She couldn't imagine the ridicule her girlfriend was getting.

Kara rubbed her temples. "Did Catco publish anything?"

James smirked, handing her a tablet. "Front page of the website. All of National City is freaking out."

"Have there been attacks against Lena? Or criticism? Because Rao forbid--"

He approached Kara, resting his hands on her shoulders. "Kara, this is out of your hands. I can't promise Lena won't get anything for this, but the best thing you can do is go out there and explain yourself and tell them the truth."

Kara chewed at the inside of her lip. James was right. She pulled out her phone and dialed Lena's number.

On the last ring, she picked up, her breathing heavy. "Kara, please tell me I'm not the only one receiving the attention of a Hollywood movie star."

The Kryptonian smiled at Lena's sly joke. "Don't worry, love. I just wanted to check in on you."

"Thank you, Kara, I haven't gotten a break all day," she groaned, muttering a cheeky remark to someone in the background. "Anyway, how are you angel? I know your day just started but..."

Kara scratched the back of her neck. "So far...hectic. But, actually I wanted to talk to you about something that James and I were discussing."

"Sure, what is it?"

"I-I...I think we should make a public statement, together of course, and tell the reporters about us," Kara said. "I want to make sure everything gets handle perfectly, you know? I don't want your reputation ruined or the company being compromised--"

"Kara, love," Lena interjected, her voice soothing. "Don't worry about me--everything will work itself out. And if anyone has a problem with us or the CEO of the company, I guess Supergirl's going to have to throw them into space, hm?"