Chapter Twenty-five

"The greatest healing therapy is friendship and love." Hubert H. Humphrey

A scent of fresh citrus entered Perli's nostrils as she stepped into the dead house. Tired, she pushed shut the door and scanned the monochrome living area. The only things that added life to the space were the paintings and vases of plants. Once loved, she now didn't like it; however, didn't care enough to redecorate.

She exhaled a short breath, trying to figure out what to do first now that she was home. Taking her phone out of her bag, she dropped the bag and keys on the couch, before quickly texting her arrival to Liz, who replied immediately with a smiley emoji. With that out of the way, she walked into the kitchen to look for Maggie. She knew Jack wouldn't be in the house. Why would he when her presence seemed to always create some sort of tension?

All he wanted was an answer, her choice and she wasn't ready to give it. So, like a coward, she avoided him. He made things easier by shifting into another room; this had given her the needed space to think.

"Maggie?!" she yelled, her eyes searching through the kitchen while her ears attentively listening for any sound anywhere else in the large house.

"Maggie?!"

There was no response, but she heard a muffled sound of a woman's singing. Her face lit up with a smile and she made her way to the back door of the kitchen. It led to the garden that always gave her goosebumps because of its majestic beauty. The various plants, the marbled pathway, little parlour, and lights which lit both the pool and its surroundings could easily give a sense of peace to whoever decided to dwell in the place for a while. And it was there she spotted Maggie, sitting next to the pool with her feet inside the water. The constant movement of her feet created a small ripple in the still water. Her eyes were closed, and her face lifted towards the sky as her singing turned into a melodic hum. The bright sun beating down on her skin brightened up every inch of her face and the peaceful nature she portrayed brought a smile to Perli's face.

"Hello Ma G!" Perli shouted an enthusiastic greeting, waving at Maggie as if she were an old friend.

Maggie turned her head to the side and smiled at her. "Hello Perli!" she responded to her greeting with a loud voice. "Come sit next to me!" she invited, tapping her side.

Pulling up her pants to her knees, then taking off her takkies and socks, Perli moved toward the smiling woman and knelt next to her. She then leaned forward and dipped her fingers into the water, sensing its temperature. Feeling a little satisfied by it, she sat and sunk her feet into the water.

"You're back early today madam," Maggie remarked the moment she sat down, frowning a bit.

Perli checked her watch. It was only 2 pm. "Well, lectures ended early," she stated, smiling.

"Oh, I see." Maggie nodded.

"Haibo Ma G!" Perli suddenly winced and withdrew her feet from the water. She couldn't pretend to be comfortable with its coldness any longer. "How are you surviving this? This water is cold mos."

"Ngiyayithanda ngale ndlela," Maggie chuckled, drawing circles with her feet. "Why don't you go in for a swim?" she suggested, a smile of mischief on her face.

Perli laughed and shook her head. She wasn't ready to get all wet in her jeans and vest. She read off the mischievous smirk on Maggie's face. "Don't you dare," she warned, being fully aware of what the older woman had in mind.

Maggie lifted her hands to indicate no bad intentions and smiled amusedly. "Do you want something to drink?"

Her change of direction to the conversation made Perli furrow her brows. Hesitantly, she nodded and made her request, "Water please."