10.

I am so close to vomiting.  Tears begin to well in my eyes, the smell of the dead girl still infiltrating my mind and spirit.  I simply stare at the garbage bin in shock, completely oblivious to almost everything around me.  My stomach turns over and over again.

My first thought is to run and grab Harry.  But as I look up to the sky, I notice it’s beginning to get dark and I’m incredibly scared.  And if I call the cops, Harry will tag along anyways.

So I force myself to stand up, legs weak and trembling.   I turn my back on the bin and grimace, pulling out my phone.  I dial 911 and they pick up right away.

“911, what’s your emergency?”

The words come out in a rush, “I just found a dead body at the back of 97 Gilwood.  Please, you need to get here right now.”

The operator acknowledges my report and eventually we hang up.  My body shakes as I pull my cell phone away from my face, running a hand through my hair.

“Fuck,” I mutter to myself, simply for comfort.

Seconds later, I can hear sirens approaching from all directions.  I whip around and try to compose myself for when they arrive but something else catches my eye.

I have no idea how I could’ve missed it.  The rancid smell must’ve really blinded my senses.  Scrawled on the wall in front of me are the words, “NAME DROP”, defacing the beautiful brick with its black, eerie scripture.  I know it’s not just regular graffiti because an arrow has been drawn meticulously, pointing directly to the garbage bin beside it. 

I can’t stop staring at it.  In fact, when the cops arrive, an officer has to place a hand gently on my shoulder before I can rip my eyes away from it.

“Miss?”

I jump and put a hand to my forehead, relieved, “Sorry.”

He asks me promptly where the girl is and I direct him to the trash bin.  I watch as the cops investigate around me, feeling like a useless individual that’s only getting in the way.

Finally, a policeman approaches me and points a finger towards the other side of the building, “We’re gonna need to ask you some questions, if you’ll come with me.”

I give a faint nod and begin to follow him, a little confused as to why he’s leading me to a completely deserted section of the building.  He brings me almost right up to the brick wall, shadows enveloping practically every section.  The officer begins to walk away and I turn around, perplexed.

“But there’s nobody here!” I call, hands slapping my sides in frustration.

“I’m highly offended.”

Even though I recognize the voice, I still practically jump out of my skin.  I take a couple of sharp breaths in before beginning to ream Harry out.

“Fuck, Harry, you can’t-”

“Turn around,” he interrupts abruptly.

“What?”

“Alexa, please turn around.”

I comply but with what’s probably considered the biggest frown on the face of the earth.  I cross my arms and stare out into the parking lot angrily.

“This is ridiculous.”

“This is keeping you safe.”

“How do I even know it’s you that I’m talking to?”

“Doris,” is all he says.

I bite my lip as I remember the knock-knock joke from just a couple of hours ago.  It’s him.  Sheepishly, I begin to scuff the ground with my shoes, “Yeah, okay.  So, what did you want to ask me?”