25.

“Oh my god,” is all I can say as the bright pink piece of paper practically screams at me.  My gaze shifts to my feet in embarrassment, horrified that Harry has to witness this.  Nonetheless, he slides his palm into mine silently, a gesture that I am grateful for.

“I forgot to check the mail,” I realize weakly, recalling with a pang of sadness that Lisa always took care of the rent until I maintained a steady income and we could halve it.  Without Lisa, I’d completely blanked out the idea of having bills to pay.

It is a harsh reminder that even though my world stopped, everyone else’s kept going.

“Hey, this isn’t your fault,” Harry consoles with a whisper, his thumb drawing back and forth across the back of my hand.  I try to find some sort of truth in his words but I can’t.  Everything is my fault.  Always.

Before I even begin to brainstorm where I can stay while I try to sort out my life, Harry tugs gently at my hand and offers, “Stay with me.”

I immediately shake my head, squeezing my eyes shut.  “No way, Harry.  I can’t impose on you like that.”

I hear Harry scoff beside me.  “It isn’t imposing if I want you there.”

I know by the tone of his voice that he’s completely serious and I nearly cry with relief.  How am I so lucky to have him in my life?

“Unless you’re uncomfortable or you-” Harry sputters nervously and I can’t help but interrupt him.

“Harry, don’t be stupid.”

This is all he needs to stop talking, peering at me with a sheepish expression.

I sigh before continuing.  “But that’s only half of my problem.  How am I going to move all of my stuff out by the end of today?  And what do I do with Lisa’s stuff?  I can’t just leave it here for someone to throw out.  I’m not ready to part with it all yet.”

I’m confident that my incessant rambling has completely turned Harry off because he lets go of my hand, the loss of contact suddenly causing me to feel small and vulnerable.  To my surprise, he digs around in his pant pocket and pulls out a large set of keys.  He brings one large hand up to cup my cheek while the other grabs one of my hands, keys dangling between his grip.

“Alexa, I’m going to take care of this for you,” Harry tells me sincerely, bright green eyes never leaving my gaze.  He presses the keys into my open palm before guiding my fingers closed tightly around them, his hand now clutching my balled fist.  “Let yourself into my apartment and do whatever you want.  You can read one of my books, have a nap, raid my fridge, anything you feel like doing.  I’ll work to move your stuff out, okay?”

I blink furiously, Harry’s commands so thoughtful and generous that my brain throws into overdrive.  “By myself?  You trust me?” I nearly squeak.

Harry gives a gentle laugh, his breath fanning out around me.  “I trust you more than I trust myself.”

I have a hard time processing this information so I barrel forward with my next concerns instead.  “What about Lisa’s stuff?  And how can you carry all of this alone?  Don’t you need my help?”

“I’d find more comfort knowing you were relaxed at my place rather than watching you stress over the condition of your own apartment.  And I’m going to find a solution for your sister’s things.  I promise.”

I am practically speechless.  How does a person even respond to something like that?  I settle for the smallest of nods, which clearly pleases Harry because he suddenly can’t stop smiling.