2. off-limits

chapter two: off-limits

"This fucking sucks," Ryan groaned as he handed the ice cream worker ten dollars.

"Yeah, I know," I responded as I gave the man another ten dollars.

"Maybe if you hadn't hit the ball out of bounds like five times we wouldn't have to pay for all this ice cream," Ryan complained while flashing me a pissed-off look. There are many things that Ryan enjoys, but losing is definitely not one of them. Growing up, he was never a poor sport in front of the opposing team, but when he got in the car, it was a whole other story.

"Well maybe if you hadn't just watched the ball as it landed right in front of you we would've won," I snapped back. How dare he try to blame this on me?

"Ryan, Kendall, stop arguing or I'm sending you back to the beach house," my mom threatened. I looked over at my brother and huffed.

My mom was always the stricter parent, always telling us what to do and what not to do. I loved her, but sometimes I felt the need to strangle her, not saying that I actually would though. However, whenever she got mad at Ryan and me, it seemed to fix the problems that were going on between us. We would change our heated topic into bonding about how frustrated we sometimes got with our mother. It may be hard to understand why we bonded over stupid things like that, but we did, and I'm glad that we could.

I grabbed my cup of cookies and cream ice cream off the counter, chose a purple spoon, and then walked out of the ice cream shop to eat on the beach.

I found a bench on the beach and sat down. Peacefully, I dug my toes into the sand while I ate my ice cream. Well, that is until I was interrupted by Amberly chasing seagulls while she screamed her head off.

"Come back here, Scuddle!" She bellowed as her tiny legs attempted to keep up with the seagulls flying over her head.

"Amberly! What are you doing, you silly goose," I laughed as I walked over to her. She frowned and then sat down on the sand.

"I wanted to play with Scuddle, but he doesn't wanna play with me," she looked down at her feet and crossed her arms. Her dark, curly hair was all over the place.

"Who's Scuddle?" I questioned. She pointed a finger up above at all of the seagulls. "Which one?" I asked. Amberly thought for a second and then shrugged.

"They are all Scuddle," she told me. "That's Scuddle number one," she added as she pointed to one of the seagulls as it slowly swooped down and landed about 30 feet away from us. "That one is Scuddle number 17," she continued as another seagull landed on the sand.

I smiled and began eating my ice cream again as she went on with naming all of the seagulls that flew above us.

"Are you ready to go back to the house, Amber?" I wondered as I ate the last bite of my ice cream.

"Yeah, I guess so," Amberly replied. She stood up and grabbed my hand as we walked back to the beach house.

..........

I was reading a book in my room when I heard a knock on my door.

"Kendall?" Jesse called out my name as he opened the door slightly to peer inside. I glanced up at him and told him that he could come in. He walked over to the side of my bed and plopped down.