3. all guys are the same

chapter three: all guys are the same

After I spent an hour or so tanning, it started raining abruptly, despite the fact that there had been no clouds in the sky just minutes beforehand. This lead to me being practically trapped in the house all day and night. It didn't stop raining until around 3 p.m. the next day. The guys immediately left and went to the beach, but I didn't feel like joining them. Instead, I spent some time with Amberly outside in the pool. It was now half-past nine.

"How has Florida been treating you so far, Kendi?" My mom asked me. We had just finished eating dinner at a nice Italian restaurant on the boardwalk and were now making our way back to the beach house. I did not know if I should lie to make her feel better or if I should bring up the fact that I still did not fully want to be here. It made me feel guilty and ashamed when I made her upset, so I decided to keep my response short and simple.

"It's been fine," I told her. She peered over at me with knowing eyes and sighed. I guess she could see right through me.

"Listen, honey," she said as she grabbed my hand reassuringly. "I know you wish that you were with your friends, and I'm sorry that your father and I don't feel comfortable leaving you home alone, but it can't be that bad spending time here. Some of your friends would kill to be in Fort Lauderdale right now, in this beautiful town where the beach is our backyard."

My mom was right, which made me feel ten times guiltier. Don't get me wrong, I loved being here and I was so grateful for everything, I just hated to feel lonely and left out from what was happening back home. I knew I had to get over this.

"I know, mom. I'm sorry," I responded as sincerely as I could. "It's nothing against you or dad or Ryan at all. Trust me, I do love it here, I just miss my friends and home sometimes." I squeezed her hand in hopes of expressing to her that I love her.

My mom looked over at me and smiled. "I love you, sweetheart."

"I love you too, mom," I replied just as we reached the house.

"Now I'm not saying that you need to or that you should, but maybe you could think about introducing yourself to some of the girls that live around here. I know that there's a girl that looks around your age who lives next door. She seems very sweet," she stated. I bit my lip. In the past, I've never had any luck with the girls that I've met here. They're usually snobby, self-absorbed, or brain dead, which is way different than the people I surround myself with back home.

I gave in, though, and said, "Okay, I'll think about it." Maybe she's right. Maybe this girl would be different.

"Now why don't you go get ready for bed. It's getting late," my mom suggested as we entered the house. We were the first ones back from dinner. "Your father, Aunt Dina, and Uncle Jeff are already at the bar down the street. I'm supposed to meet them there but I wanted to walk you home first."

"Okay." So I would be home alone tonight. Well, besides for Amberly. She had a hissy fit before dinner and decided to stay home alone. There was nothing we could do to get her to go out with us. This was all because she just was not in the mood for Italian food. She wanted chips, so that is what she ate.

"We should be back in a couple of hours. You know us," my mom laughed. Honestly, if the parents did not have the responsibility of taking care of us, they would be out all night. I would genuinely be surprised if they were all home in three hours. They were quite the partiers.