4. deceitful

chapter four: deceitful

Lacey's bratty voice was still echoing in my ears as I tried to decipher what Asher had just said. I fumbled from side-to-side, unable to think of something to say. I did not know whether to acknowledge Lacey's comment or Asher's. Before I was able to come up with a response, Lacey spoke.

"Well, you obviously weren't thinking of your 'girlfriend' earlier today on the beach," Lacey tested him. She looked over at me and smirked. Am I supposed to go along with this?

"I think that you should leave," Asher said. His voice remained calm, but his eyes were shooting daggers straight through her.

Lacey dramatically flipped her hair behind her shoulder. "You're really asking me to leave?" Her voice rose with every word. "So now when your 'girlfriends' in the picture you want nothing to do with me?"

"I never wanted anything to do with you in-" Asher started, but I cut him off. I was sick of this girl talking like she ran shit.

"The names Kendall and we aren't asking you to leave. We are telling you to get the hell out of here," I snapped, pointing to the door so that she got the hint. Lacey must have understood because I did not have to tell her twice. Her fake, blonde hair was bobbing down the stairs before I had the chance to say another word.

"That's it! Parties over!" Asher hollered down the stairs. We walked over to the railing and watched as everyone came into view.

"What the hell man?" Ryan questioned. He held his arms out to his sides with a confused look.

"Hey, Lace! Where are you going?" One of the blondes shouted out to Lacey as she watched her open the back door and storm out. The two blonde girls gasped and ran after her while the brunette halted for a second. She looked up at me apologetically and sighed as if she could tell that Lacey had done something wrong. She quickly said goodbye and then strolled out of the house, not bothering to catch up to the girls who were probably already gone.

"What happened?" Jesse asked as he and my brother began walking up the stairs.

"Lacey's a selfish bitch, that's all," Asher shrugged as if he was used to girls acting like this.

"Yeah, I didn't really like the blonde girls," Jesse disclosed once he had reached us.

"The brunette was chill," Ryan said, referring to the girl by her hair color, not her name. Is this what guys normally did: treated girls like objects by not acknowledging the names that they had?

"Why were you hanging with them in the first place if you did not even like them?" I asked. They made no sense.

"Did you see their tits?" Ryan exaggerated. He sighed disappointingly as if I should have known better than to question their choices.

"Sorry I wasn't staring at their boobs, Ryan," I answered with disgust. I rolled my eyes and turned around to go back into my room. He has no filter whatsoever.

"Hey wait," Asher said as he pushed the door open before I was able to shut it. Smoothly, he turned the bedroom light onto a dim level. As his face illuminated, he dropped his hand to his side as he stared at me without saying a word. It was like he was examining my face as I stood in front of him--studying my green eyes, the blush that crept onto my face, and then finally my pink lips.

"Yeah?" I spoke out, hoping that if I said something, my heart would stop beating so rapidly.

"I wasn't trying to pull anything with Lacey," he assured me. His gaze had left my lips and landed on my eyes again.

"What you do is none of my business," I said, trying to let him know that I wouldn't care even if he had tried to make a move. Who am I to get upset about what he does or doesn't do? I have no control over his actions, nor should I.

"I just want you to know that I really am a good guy," he responded. He grabbed his bottom lip with his teeth and bit down. When my eyes caught sight of this, my stomach did a flip. He was totally doing it on purpose, knowing damn well the effect that lip-biting has on girls.

Why did he care so much about what I thought, though? What was it to him if I considered him a good guy or not? It's not like I was going to go around trying to ruin his reputation if that's what he was worried about.

"Okay," I replied simply, not really knowing what else to say.

He took a step into my room, not caring if Ryan was behind him watching his every move. He must not have been, because if he was, he would definitely have something to say.

"You don't believe me, do you?" Asher wondered. My knees grew weak the closer he approached me.

"It's not that I don't believe you. I just don't... know you well enough to make a conclusion on the type of guy that you are," I mumbled, taking a step back. I didn't tell him, though, that I couldn't help but think of him as a player. But maybe I was just judging a book by its cover. Most guys I met that were as good-looking as he never wanted anything more from a girl than a place to put their you-know-what.

"Well, then how about you get to know me and let me get to know you," he suggested. "Without distancing yourself. Especially like you are right now," he pointed out just as I was taking another step back. I laughed.

"Okay," I shyly agreed. "Don't make it so obvious in front of Ryan, though. He can get a little... you know."

"Oh, I know," he admitted with a small laugh. "Does this mean you'll let me take you to breakfast tomorrow?"

I nervously looked at the ground and then back at him. "Maybe." A smile threatened to creep onto my face, but I kept my expression straight.

"Maybe?" He smirked. "How can I turn that 'maybe' into a yes?" I shrugged with a grin, knowing that I was toying with his emotions.

"I'm not that easy, Asher," I admitted to him. His fierce eyes watched my lips with admiration as I spoke. I couldn't tell if he believed me or not, but the fascination that came over him was intensely visible.

"Good. I like a girl who makes me work for it," he said huskily. His voice was warm and inviting, tempting me to give in.

"Work for what?" My breathing slowed as the rhythm of my heartbeats increased. I could feel the blood pulsating through my body. What was happening to me?

His eyes staring longingly into mine. He grinned, showing off his perfect, straight teeth, and then abruptly turned around. I stared at the back of his head, unable to process this sudden action of his.

"Goodnight, Kendall," he said. My mouth was slightly agape as I watched him exit my room. Before he left, though, he flashed me a smirk over his shoulder, and then shut the door behind himself. I was left standing there stunned. 

My mind was racing as I got into my bed, going over our conversation again and again as I tried to figure out what to do. I so desperately wanted him to not play me, but I also was not looking for anything serious this summer.

It didn't mean I couldn't have a little fun, though...

........

Things are getting spiceeyyy!! Here we gooooo. I'm a little excited to start writing some more... juicier(?) scenes.

Get ready for an upcoming chapter where we dive into the mind of Asher. Not literally, but you'll just have to find out.

Do you guys know anyone like Lacey? Or do any characters from a movie or a book remind you of her?

Anyways, stay tuned, loves! <3