5. a gentleman

chapter five: a gentleman

Since our conversation last night, I have not talked to Asher. He didn't bring up breakfast, but maybe he got the hint that I thought it might be too soon to go out for food. It was not like I was about to go on a date or something with him and then be forced to listen to Ryan complain about it. My brother needed to loosen his grip on my social life, especially when it came to guys. I was sick of feeling controlled.

Currently, I was at the beach sweating under the sun with my book in my hands. Besides me, my mom and Aunt Dina were asleep. They must have had a rough night. My dad and Uncle Jeff were still in bed and it was one in the afternoon. Amberly was down the shore building sandcastles the waves repeatedly destroyed. Every time this happened, she would let out a loud scream and my mom would wince. She was definitely hungover. 

Since the waves were pretty good today, the guys were in the ocean surfing. Even though Jesse and Ryan had been surfing practically all of their lives, Asher appeared to be better than them. He was doing tricks that I had never seen my brother or cousin complete. It was obvious that they were a little jealous of him.

With fascination, I watched them lift up their bodies to stand on their surfboards as a waved began to curl underneath them. They bent their knees as if they were about to sit back into a chair, but their strong cores kept them falling backward. None of them had chosen to wear a rash guard, so their tightened muscles were fully visible as they continued to ride the wave closer to the shore. My eyes were stuck on Asher, though. His wet hair was stuck to his forehead, almost close enough to cover his eyes.

One by one, the guys fell back into the ocean, with Ryan being the first one to go down. Simultaneously, their heads popped out of the ocean and they broke out into a fit of laughter. They looked like they were having a blast.

I never learned how to surf when I was growing up. Probably due to my underlying fear of what's beneath the surface of the ocean. I was never fond of the big body of water that wrapped around the Earth. Ryan never understood my fear. He was constantly making fun of me since he considered the ocean a friend whereas I considered it the home to my worst fears.

"The waves are sick as fuck," Ryan breathed out. I hadn't even realized that the guys had gotten out of the ocean. They were now grabbing their towels and laying them out on the sand to lay back on.

"Nice language," my mom muttered. I was surprised she even acknowledged it.

"I'm exhausted now," Jesse told all of us. The guys agreed with him and closed their eyes as they laid back onto their towels. Asher's head was directly in front of me, almost on my feet. If I moved my toes a few inches forward, they would be in his hair. That's how close he was to me. Not saying I was about to put my toes on him, though. That'd be a little gross and unflattering.

My stomach rumbled as I continued to read my book. I wasn't surprised that I was so hungry. I had only eaten a granola bar for breakfast around four hours ago. My body needed food. Now.

"Mom, can I go to that smoothie store down the boardwalk? I'm starving," I asked, hoping that she would give me her permission.

"Sure, Ken," she responded.

I got up and placed my book where I had been sitting. Quickly, I slipped on my black romper and grabbed a five-dollar bill from my wallet.

During the school year, I worked at a restaurant hostessing so that I could make money for the summer. Most of it I spent on food, to be honest. Just like I was doing right now.

"Wait up!" Someone called out as I headed up the steps to get to the boardwalk. I turned my head around to find Asher jogging towards me. Sadly, he had put on a shirt, hiding his well-toned body for me to see.