Chapter Seven

I went to school the following day, the same thing happened, and the next day and the next day. Emory was seated happily in his usual spots, but Cedric refused to show. It just ate me up inside not knowing. It was one thing him being away from school, I could deal with that. But the timing couldn’t be more dreadful. The thought was only made increasingly disturbing as my mother spent a lot of the nights with Mr. Milton himself.

I was still panicking at the Friday lunchtime when my cell-phone started ringing. My heart jumped into my throat, despite the fact I knew Cedric didn’t have my number and I doubted he’d call me.

“Hello?” I answered in a chirp.

“Zoe, it’s bad news.” My heart fell, it was the voice of Alice, and my heart fell even further at the thought of bad news. “I’m going to come your way tonight, I need you to meet up with me.”

“How come?”

“Vampires.” She said. “And lots of them, headed your way. I don’t know what the deal is, but it’s best we take out as many as we can.”

“Are you serious?”

“Dead serious, Zoe. I am ever light-hearted?”

“I guess not,” I agreed.

“I’ll meet you at your house just before midnight. Be prepared.”

“Alright Alice.”

She hung up, Alice had never been the type to drag out the conversation or even say a little more than absolutely necessary, which sometimes resulted in a slight buzz of confusion floating around my mind after talking to her as I tried to recall what exactly it was that she wanted.

*

By the time midnights approach was near my mum was in bed sleeping, my sword was attached securely to my side, and I had about ten small plastic bottles of animal blood in a pouch at my other side. I’d been able to get cheap bottles of animal blood from my towns butcher, telling him I was investigating something with animal blood for a science project. It was a handy deterrent for vampires, the smell of blood would confuse them if I opened a bottle and chucked it somewhere spilling the blood and exposing the smell. That is, so long as I didn’t have exposed blood on me from a cut or something, as soon as that happened the animal blood was useless. So I was thankful my cut was healed enough not to be a hazard. I sat on the front porch steps waiting for Alice to arrive. I didn’t feel tried, I’d made sure to get an afternoon nap however I still felt emotionally drained because of Cedric’s absence.

I head footsteps approaching, much too loud to be Alice’s, my breathing sped up but I didn’t look at whoever was approaching.

“Zoe…” the voiced sighed. “You should know better than to be out here at this time of night.”     

“What’s it to you?” I growled, recognizing the silky voice of Malcolm Milton. My eyes narrowed and I turned my face up only to glower at him.

“Well, your mother would be worried to know you were on the streets…” he glanced at my side and raised his eyebrow. “…With a sword too…"

“It’s fake…” I lied, an idea starting to form itself in my head. “I like cosplaying and I needed a nighttime setting… now do me a favor and stay away from me.”

“Zoe… I know your mother and I have been spending a lot of time together, but she cares deeply for you, and so I have to look after you, go back to bed, sweetheart.”

“Don’t call me that.” I hissed. “I told you what I’m doing, now unless you want to start taking my hobbies away from me, leave me be… besides, who are you trying to protect me from? Creepers like you wandering the streets at midnight?”