Chapter Ten

Malcolm was at my house again when I got home. He was lazing about in the longue on my mother’s chair reading some car magazine.

“Where’s mum?” I asked blankly.

Malcolm did not move an inch to look at me when he spoke, his face still hid behind the magazine and his voice crept quickly out of his mouth as though he were speaking only to himself.

“Out.” He said. A tinge of fear crept into my body.

“Out WHERE?” I demanded.

“Working late. I’m here to keep an eye on you…”

“I don’t need you to…” I growled defensively. Mum had never sent someone to look after me while she was at work; in fact I think she’d stopped doing that as soon as I was about eight. I’d learned to look after myself from a young age, giving me much independence now in life, I’d learnt to take care of myself because I always knew that my mother wasn’t going to do it for me.

My mother was much too in love with the though of eternal youth and staying social… you couldn’t keep up with that AND raise your kid too. I didn’t mind, though, it made me the person I was today, I still loved my mum and she kept money rolling in to keep me alive.

“I’m sure your mother would prefer if I did…” He still didn’t move. I wondered if he was keeping me from seeing Cedric again by keeping watch on me within my own home. Either that or he was probably planning to kill me. I didn’t like either option.

“I’ve been left alone for…” I sighed, there wasn’t any point in arguing with him. He was stubborn, and manipulating. He didn’t care what I thought of the situation, he only saw and thought of what he wanted. “Never mind. Just stay out of my room.”

“Good girl.” Malcolm sounded pleased, or possibly amused. Maybe he though I was planning to sneak out my bedroom window. What a cliché, I knew he’d catch me doing that, I wasn’t even going to bother trying.

I didn’t care about dinner, I was determined to stay in my room for the rest of the night. Anything to avoid Malcolm and his sickly voice. Anything.

***

After I’d checked all of my favourite vampire sighting websites and latest police files I decided to get ready for bed, it was only seven, but I had nothing left to do. The police files and sightings had given me nothing. Null. There were no vampires to be seen or found. It seemed like what should have been a vampire hunters happy holiday season, but to be honest the fact that there weren’t any signs of vampires in the area wasn’t really a good thing. It was too… strange. It probably meant that they were all watching, waiting. Ready to pounce. The lack of vampires was a bad thing, it meant a change in the usual state of order.

I placed Cedric’s rose on my bed-side table before crawling into the bed itself, sinking down further into the covers. I could sense Malcolm was still there in the house, I could feel the presence of a vampire.

I did my best to sleep, but I knew it’d evade me for a long time. Early bedtimes were not my forte; I was far too used to being awake at early hours of the morning. Having the potent smell of a vampire in the house was not going to help me one bit. The smell always got caught up in my throat, subtlety choking me. The smell made me sick. Just how GOOD it smelt.

My eyes wandered around the room absently. They soon found a rather large shadow of a figure cast over my closet.

I stayed completely still.

I’d wondered why the vampire smell had been quite so potent. It wasn’t Malcolm at all. There was a vampire in my room with me.

The shadow flickered and then darted away, disappearing beneath my bed.