Chapter 10 - Escape

"Why haven't you told us this before?" Sting questioned me, frowning.

"It's not exactly something that most people take well! You saw that guy! After his group found out about it, they chased after me for years! Even now, they still want to use me as their weapon!" I retorted.

"She has a point..." Rufus agreed.

"Where did you even learn something like that?" Orga asked, a suspicious look in his eyes.

"That's... not important," I responded quickly, earning myself more suspicious stares. I avoided Rogue's gaze, afraid of what he would think of me now.

"(Y/n)." His firm voice made me look up.

"How can we help you with this?" He offered a reassuring and confident smile.

"What?" I asked, taken aback.

"This may have come out of no where, but you're still our friend! We care about you, (y/n)." Sting butted in, a grin on his face. Rogue nodded, silently agreeing. The rest of the guild copied this motion, causing a warm smile to form on my face.

"So... how can we help?" Rogue repeated, putting his hand on mine.

"Thank you, everyone, but I can't ask for you to help... Not when it could put your lives in danger," I answered, pulling away from Rogue. Backing out of the building, I smiled at everyone sorrowfully.

"I'm sorry," I murmured before turning on my heel and running from the hall. Ignoring the shouts of my friends, I sprinted from the town where Sabertooth was located, Emi on my heel.

"Where are we going?" The exceed asked, flying alongside me. I glanced at her.

"Away. It's not safe in this area if they know I'm here. But you're staying here." I continued to sprint, eventually stopping when I thought of a better idea.

"What? No! We're a team!" Emi whined.

"Music dragon partial body transformation; wings!" I called, my white feathered wings unfolding from my shoulders. Briefly stretching them, I flew up and then continued out of the town.

"I'm doing this to protect you!" I spat unintentionally.

"(Y/n)!" A voice called my name and I glanced down to see Rogue chasing after me, Sting following closely behind.

"No! (Y/n), I can help you!" The exeed quickly tried to persuade me. I blinked at her.

"I don't need help. Stay safe," I growled, but softened my voice on the last words. I turned away from her and increased my speed to the fastest I could manage; that of sound.

"(Y/n)!"

~~o~~

She shot up from the ground, her stunning feathered wings spread around her powerfully. For a moment, I was awe struck by her beauty, but then remembered the situation.

"(Y/n)!" I shouted, attempting to get her to stop before she flew to far off. The female glanced down at me, a momentary expression of shock across her face. Twisting in the air, (Y/n) beat her wings, seemingly disappearing in an instant, leaving Emi behind. I stopped running after her.

Her exeed looked down at me, floating down to me, her eyes dazed.

"She's gone..." was all the purple exeed could manage, a sob in her voice.

"(Y/n)..." I murmured, staring at the disturbance in the air her incredible speed had created.

"Don't worry," feeling a hand on my shoulder, I turned around to face Sting.

"We'll find her. She can't hide forever!" My friend reassured me, and I nodded, wordlessly. I was in shock. What could get someone like (Y/n) so scared? What could make her want to leave us all behind?

This thought worried me. (Y/n) was unnaturally powerful. Whoever was after her clearly was a threat to her, causing the female to flee the area. (Y/n) was in danger.

~~o~~

Once I knew I was far away enough, I slowed my speed. Taking in my surroundings, I noticed that the area was covered in trees.

"Offers enough coverage," I murmured.

Realising how exposed I was flying, I dropped to the ground, landing on my feet. Stretching, I felt my wings evaporate and sighed.

"Probably shouldn't be flying anymore, hm?" I voiced to myself. Closing my eyes, I concentrated on finding the magic energy that I was searching for.

"Bingo..." I muttered, turning to face the distinguishable energy. Nodding, I began the trek towards my destination.

~~o~~

After a long walk, I finally find myself staring at a large, worn-down mansion. A small wave of fear and uneasiness passes over me, but I shake my head, trying to expel it from my mind.

"I can do this... for my friends! For Rogue..." I whisper to myself, feeling the courage sweep through me.

"I can do this!" I look up at the sun, noticing it begin to set across the horizon, casting long shadows across the field between myself and the building. Enough cover to protect my figure. Not that it would matter. They would be able to detect me already, no doubt.

"I wonder why they aren't attacking..." I murmur, trying not to think too much about it. Inhaling and exhaling, I begin to silently creep across the field, all my senses alert. Eventually, I find myself directly in front of the looming mansion. But something was wrong... I had not sensed a single enemy.

Noticing a nearby window, I made my way over to it. Peering through it, I noticed that there was not a single guard to be seen. Something was definitely wrong. Then it hit me. This was all a trap. Not a guard to be seen in the headquarters?

Putting my shaking hand out, I touched the wall of the building. My blood ran cold as my hand went straight through it. An illusion. Spinning around, I began to run across the field.

"Music dragon partial body transformation; wings!" I screamed quickly, jumping up and beating my wings, attempting an escape. As soon as my feet left the ground, I felt my body hit the ground and gasped in shock. I'd been thrown back down.

"You didn't think that you could escape, did you?"

~~o~~

"Wait, what?" I whispered, my voice unsteady. Emi nodded. Exchanging a glance with Sting, I couldn't keep the dread from my voice or face.

"(Y/n) fled because her hunters aren't just a small group, they're an army, and none of them are human." The dreaded feeling increased.

"What are they then?" Sting asked before I could get the words out of my mouth.

"Demons."

Herro, reader-chan! Yes, yes, I'm back from the dead. Sorry about the lack of updating, I've just had a few other things to worry about, but I should be writing a lot more now. I'm really sorry about leaving you all in the dark with the story. Thank you for all your kind comments and messages about how much you like it, I really appreciate it~! So anyways, that's it for now, I've already started the next chapter, so look forward to it, my friends!
~Neb