Chapter Four

Why is my blanket so scratchy?

My eyes open and I'm met with the sight of a hospital suite. I blink a few times to help focus my eyes. Why am I in the hospital and how did I get here? I look around, taking in my surroundings. What I don't expect to see is a sleeping Xavier sitting beside me in a chair with his head leaning against the bed I'm on.

The sight of Xavier brings back all of the memories from, well I don't even know how long ago. I remember our date, and smile slightly to myself. My smile is quickly wiped away though, as I remember the call from the police officer saying Lucy was found murdered. Tears prick my vision and I start to hyperventilate. Fear begins to take over my body when I remember how my skin felt like it was on fire and the sensation of flying right before everything went black. What if that happens again? I feel my body start to hum as more panic sets in.

Before I can worry too much about blacking out once more, Xavier's awake and grabbing my face with his large, warm hands. The tingling sensation, which only his touch brings to me, calms me down instantly. I still don't understand the affect Xavier has over my body, but boy do I appreciate it right now. My hands slowly reach up to grab his wrists to ground myself even more.

"Violet. Violet, calm down. Breath," he's whispering to me, "Look at me, kitten. Look at me," he demands, and I find myself looking into his eyes.

As I watch his eyes, I feel my heart stop racing and my breathing even back out, "L-Lucy," I stutter out.

His eyes soften even more, "I know, kitten," he replies.

I don't know how long we stay like that, him hold my face and me holding his wrists, but once I finally drop my hands to my lap it feels like it has been hours.

"How long was I out?" I ask shakily.

Xavier's hands move down to my shoulders, "A day," is all he says. I nod my head, glad it wasn't longer.

Xavier sits back in his chair and opens his mouth to say something, "I-."

He's cut off when the door to my suite opens and in rushes Lucy's mother, Sherry, "Oh, Violet," she chokes out through her tears.

I sit up in the bed more before throwing my arms open for a hug. Sherry walks over to me and grabs me in a bone crushing hug. I find myself not being able to cry, I whisper that everything is going to be okay to her and stroke her slightly greying red hair instead. Sherry's been like a mother to me since my parents died, and it feels right to get to console her like she has me for so many years.

As I feel her tears dampen the hospital gown I'm wearing, I begin to think about how much pain Sherry must be in. I can't believe Lucy's gone and I don't think I'll ever be able to. All throughout my childhood she was a part of my life. She was the bright and funny little girl that was a friend to me when no one else wanted to be. She'll always be the sister I always wanted but never had.

My face contours into a grimace as anger starts to consume me. I have to find who killed Lucy, now. I can't sit here any longer with Sherry crying to me about her murdered daughter. I need to get out there and find the person responsible for this and make them pay. My body starts to hum again as my anger level rises.

I glace over to Xavier when I start to fear that I might black out again. The look on his face tells me that he already knows what I'm thinking and he reaches over and grabs my hand that's on Sherry's back and pulls it towards him. Through everything that's happening right now I find myself blushing at our intertwined fingers.

"I-," Sherry grunts out, I pull back to look at her, "I h-hadn't seen her in a whole w-week. I d-didn't even get to tell her l-loved her," she manages past the tears.