XIX. Departure

Over 5,000 reads. I'm in shock.
ENJOY.

The Royal Court of France

My face was pressed into my pillow as tears continuously flowed out of my blue colored eyes

Ever since Simon told me about my mother being ill, there has been a dark atmosphere surrounding me, but I haven't been able to let out my feelings until now.

I know, I know, my mother is horrid and brutal, and I probably sound like a fraud just like her, but I would be lying if I said that it didn't hurt me to know that she is suffering and coming in contact with the end of her life. She is my mother. She gave birth to me. She taught me to be the respectable royal that I am today.  Whether she is really a horrible liar or not, she is my mother, and that is one thing that I can not deny.

Also, knowing that I may be succeeding the thrown sooner rather than later has me a bit on edge, and I really am not sure how to process it all.

A knocking noise caused me to stop my crying. I stood from my previous cradled position. I gathered pmyself by flattening my gown and wiping my tear-stained cheeks. Once I was fully composed, I walked nearer to the door.

"Come in." I called, trying to not let my voice crack. The door opened and shut quick, showing a frazzled looking Francis enter the room.

"Arabella, I know you would put a stop to it if you could, but the English are continuing to mass on Scotland's border, and-" he stopped once he finally made eye contact with my dull face. A concerned look appeared over his face as he approached me. I stood, anxiously shifting on my feet. "And you are clearly not well. Bell, what is wrong?" His hand came up to rest on my cheek that was now raw from rubbing it so harshly.

"Francis, its my mother." I spoke, letting a sob escape my lips. I took a deep breath, holding in the tears that were soon to come. "She is very ill. No one knows how much longer she will make it." I gazed down to the tiled floor. "I know it's absurd for me to be upset over this. I mean, she almost killed my friend multiple times, but she's my mother. And I don't want to lose her." I began to sob. Tears spilled over my eyes. There was no stopping them now. Francis silently pulled me into his chest, his arms snaking around my waist. I rested my head on his chest, continuing to let the tears flow. "I normally don't break down like this. I hate looking weak, but with you, I don't know. I guess I just feel comfortable in your presence." That sounded a lot more embarrassing out loud than it did in my head. I mentally cursed myself for letting that leave my mouth. Although I know Francis wouldn't judge me, it still is important that I never let my guard down.

"Just let it out, Bell." His arms simply tightened around me. I felt a light kiss on my forehead. "It will be alright, darling. Everything will work out like we planned. I know it."