XXI. Restitution

6,000 reads. Wow. Thank you.

The Royal Court of France

"On guard!" Francis chuckled as I walked into the room

"On guard!" Francis chuckled as I walked into the room. He and Charles were fighting with, what I think are called forks. It's a new invention made to pick up food to eat. They are kind of odd if you ask me. It seems as if you are deliberately stabbing your food, but apparently it looks less barbaric to stab your food. "It's not a toy, Charles. It's an instrument of diplomacy."

"Come along, Charles." The nanny who was standing off to the side called, taking Charles away.

"My mother's fault." Francis turned to me, holding up the fork. "She's forcing everyone to learn how to use these things. Forks." His eyebrows furrowed at the word causing me to giggle. "I missed you." He walked closer to me, grabbing my hands, and letting a kiss fall upon my lips.

"Francis, we just saw each other at breakfast."

"Arabella, I just can't bare to be apart from you for long." He longingly looked at me, giving me a pouting face.

"I know. I forgot I have you at my beck and call." I smirked up at the prince. He smiled before letting go of me and walking over to the table to put the forks down.

"A Neapolitan count is coming. My mother doesn't want us to look like barbarians before a fellow Italian." He spoke, going back to the topic of forks. He held them up in the air, shaking them in his hand, causing me to roll my eyes at his childishness.

"Is that why your father has asked you to stay?" I questioned. Earlier this morning, the king, Bash and the rest of the men have gone out to war. Or what Catherine says 'a minor display of temper.'

"He must be greeted by a king or dauphin or else it's an insult." He turned to me.

"I see." I paced over to him. I grabbed a hold of his jacket, straightening it out, and fixing his collar. "My handsome dauphin must do his duty."

"Yes, I must." His smiled down at me. "Mother would like me to greet him as soon as he arrives, so I must get going. I will see you later, my darling." I nodded off at him as he exited the room. I stared off at him before he was gone. Then taking a deep breath, I smiled and guided myself out of the room.

•••

Almost an hour later, I was summoned to the Throne Room, where I assumed the count would be waiting. I made my way there, making sure I looked ever-so-presentable because even though they are here for the French, I must always make sure England makes a good impression.

I walked into the room, seeing Catherine, Francis, and a man, whom I'm assuming is the Count, all standing around.

"Your Highness," The count choruses, bowing his head and kissing my knuckles once I had approached them. "You must guard her close, dauphin, or someone might steal her away." I laughed softly at the man just as a maid walked in with a tray of wine. "How delightful." He picked up a glass, as did Francis, Catherine, and myself.  "All of Italy has heard of the gold goblets given to you by Pope Clement on your marriage." He spoke to Catherine. "No doubt you keep them for more important guests."

Catherine's face almost turned a pale white, but I stepped in.

"So, Count, is this your first visit to France?" I spoke lightly, sending a small smile towards him.

"No, I was in French soil less than a year ago to negotiate for my son. He was taken prisoner along with some other officers near the Italian border." I rose my eyebrows, seeing the obvious ashamed look cross over Catherine face.

"Nothing to be ashamed of." Count spoke, as if he read my mind. "War is costly. Ones money must be recouped somehow. Holding hostages for ransom is an old tradition."

"And did you secure your son's release?" Catherine questioned.

"Of course. Roberto was held for eight months. I bargained like any Italian would. Shrewdly. I worked my way up through two colonels and a general. And negotiated with the king. And one day he was returned to me. For 1,500 ducats." Oh. "It is hard to appraise the value of a human life. But now I know my son's. 1,500 ducats. I have France to thank for that clarity."

"To peace. And long friendship." Catherine toasted and we all joined in.

"To clarity." Count added and we sipped our red wine. "Tell me, Your Majesty, when do you expect King Henry to return with his men?"

"Quite soon." Francis answered for his mother. "Knowing my father, he could be here at any moment."

"Really?" Count spoke. "I realize they traveled to Lorraine to put down some village unrest."

"And yet you seem surprised that he wasn't here to greet you." Francis spoke directly. "Arabella," He whispered into my ear. "Go upstairs." I looked up at him, furrowing my eyebrows. "Now." I looked up, and got ready to walk out, but one of the guards looked at me before grabbing a tight hold on his sword and shook his head as if saying 'no'. I composed myself and stood tall, trying to not show nervousness or weakness even thought that was really all I felt. "Count, perhaps it's time you tell us why you're here. It's not a diplomatic visit."

"You're right, dauphin. I've come for restitution." Count spoke.

"Restitution?"

"The conditions of my son's confinement were not ideal. Roberto was returned to me, yes, but he died of dysentery on his journey home." Count hissed, causing me to take a sharp breath. I exchanged a nervous glance with Francis who stood across from me before looking back to Count.

"Count, im so sorry. To outlive a child. The pain is unimaginable." Catherine sincerely spoke.

"My wife is dead, I have no other children. I'm the last of my name. Am I not due satisfaction?" Count spoke, making my skin crawl.

"Perhaps this discussion should be postponed until the king's return." Catherine spoke up.

"If I wanted to sit for the king's return, I wouldn't have camped in the woods for the last three weeks," I began to move away from the count's side and closer to Catherine and Francis. "Waiting for Henry and his men to leave."

Francis stepped forward quickly, causing me to gasp lightly. "You may leave with your life. That is all we can offer." He gazed back at me giving me a nod of reassurance.

"No one is leaving, Dauphin." Count chuckled devilishly. "With your soldiers gone, my men control the entrance. They have taken few aged guards prisoner. We have their weapons."

"The castle is secure, My Lord." One of the count's men came into the room, speaking.

"This castle is now under my protection until I receive satisfaction." Count called out, and I decided that it was time for me to speak up.

"You mean money." I hissed. "You're holding us for ransom."

"Princess Arabella, I apologize. You are innocent in all this." Count chorussed to me before turning back to Catherine. "Now we will negotiate one Italian to another.

And at that moment, I realized this would not end well.

A/N- This is probably one of my favorite episodes of Reign. I can't wait to finish up and publish the chapter with the rest of this episode. It's going to be a good one:)

Anyway, I'm home sick from school today, so I thought I'd publish this for you beautiful readers. I hope y'all liked it!