Chapter Fourteen.

We made our way back to Hunter's truck easily, Hunter following the same invisible directions as when he led me in, and he chatted on about his friends and his upcoming deployment.

"Are you nervous?" I asked as I climbed into the cab of the truck, cranking the window back down again.

Hunter shrugged his wide shoulders. "Nah," his voice didn't show any signs of worry or fear from the thought. "I've been all kinds of places, and it's about time I actually see some real combat."

Hating the way my heart seemed to race a little faster, I turned to look out the window. "What do you mean 'real combat?'"

"Well, I've been on four peace keeping missions." He explained. "I've been to Germany, Guam, spent some time on a post in Hawaii, even been deployed to Afghanistan before but I was up in the mountains at headquarters. I've never been in a place where there is actually some danger." He wiggled his eyebrows when I glanced at him. "I'm ready. It's what I've been training for."

I nodded, trying to wrap my mind around the idea of actually wanting to go to war even though you know you might not make it back. "I see." I said simply, although I really didn't. I didn't want to think too far into why I really didn't like the thought of him being somewhere where people were going to be shooting at him. I wanted him somewhere safe, but that isn't a bad thing. I'd want any of my friends to be someplace safe.

"Is someone worried about my wellbeing over there?" He chuckled, tapping his finger on my head to get my attention back.

"Is that such a bad thing?" I asked, deciding not to pretend that I wasn't bothered at all.

"No," He shook his head, his face pulling into a serious stare for a minute. "I kind of like that it bugs you, but it shouldn't."

"I know," I interjected quickly, sitting up higher in my seat. "I know we're just friends an-." I was trying to brush off what I'd said since he thought I meant more by it.

"Woah, Kit." Hunter laughed. "I only meant you shouldn't be worried because I'm going to be fine. I know what I'm doing out there." Then he patted me on the top of the head like I was his kid sister or something.

I bit my lips as my cheeks caught fire from my misunderstanding. I let out a nervous laugh and reached for the radio dial, hoping for some music to distract away from me putting my foot in my mouth yet again. Sadly, there was nothing but commercials to fill the silence.

I sat back into the comfy seat and leaned my head down again until I heard the announcer on the radio.

"Come one, come all for the best night of family fun in all of Texas! The Rising Borrow Brother's Circus is in town for two nights only!"

I perked up and listened closer as the commercial boasted the lions and tigers.

"Oh, I used to love going to the circus." I sighed remembering all the times I'd been with my family. It used to be a yearly thing we did, even after Clint and I had outgrown it. We didn't go the year that Clint got his diagnosis though, and once he was gone, we never went back at all.

"I've never been." Hunter told me and I turned to gape at him, a shocked gasp crossing my lips.

"You're kidding." I said slowly. "Never?"

He laughed hard at my reaction but shook his head. "No, but I've been to my fair share of plays, ballets, and fundraisers at the Country Club." He scoffed. "My family was snooty, not so into the circus or fairs and stuff like that."