16: In Plain Sight

"We're not the palace guard." Ainslee grumbled under her breath as they left the Commander's office, stepping out into the calm weather. It was that sort of weather in late spring where summer was trying to nudge it's warm nose in, though Blayre was thankful for the cloud cover that would have made these black outfits hell to wear otherwise.

Ainslee wasn't typically the one to question authority - that was usually Fletcher's book of business. But Blayre knew why. She had seen her friend's glee at receiving the letters from Seaver that had accumulated during the time they had been away. She supposed she should give the other woman space to sort through those emotions - a long distance relationship was a challenge. Though Blayre's only experience with such a thing so far had been in her teenage years when she'd had to leave a suitor from the schooling year back in the capital for the duration of summer.

But this was their job. It wasn't acceptable for her to be allowing a relationship to get in the way of her dedication to their service.

If Blayre could rein in her emotions where Rory was concerned, Ainslee could do the same.

"It will pass by in a blur, Ains." Blayre reassured her. "Soon enough we will be back on the road. Back in Mountainvale." She tried to keep the note out of her voice, bitter as the kind of ale her father liked so much.

    Fletcher looked into her eyes and gave her a sympathetic nod, though Ainslee pressed on, "I know, but I'm tired of this. I feel like we're being used for something - not right. We should be solving this. And we're only a fraction closer after that trip to port roubeles. Even that just felt like an excuse to use us as guards."

    So maybe this wasn't just about her brother. Blayre released an intake of breath. "I know." She glanced down at the dirt and stones beneath her feet as they walked through the training yard. The clack of weapons as soldiers and others practiced. Something she desperately needed to do while she was here, she reminded herself. She was probably getting rusty, even though they'd stuck to their warm ups on the road. And also indulged in a lot of poor food choices as well.

    "But sometimes we can't change the circumstances that surround us - and this is one of those situations. A terrible situation. That we just have to help with best we can."

    "The entire kingdom is in mourning." Fletcher put in.

    "Yes, but-"

    Blayre cut  her off "How about a go in the yard?" She motioned to the swordplay going on in the yard ahead. "We could all use a bit of practice." And a way to release some of this tension, she added to herself.

Blayre felt rather than saw her brother enter the training grounds later that day. Seaver only had a trace of magic, but as children they had worked out a system where he would send out a spurt of magic to alert her that he was nearby - most often to warn her of her stepmother's presence when they were up to no good.  He came into view as she strode across the stableyard after a riding session with Dove, mud splattering her dark clothing.

    "Seaver!" She yelled to him. He looked up from his great black horse.  Grinning brightly, he swiftly dismounted, handed the reins over to one of the hostlers and opened his arms so his sister could to crash into him for an embrace, heedless of the dirt.

    "You smell like the mountains." She murmured into his chest, breathing in deeply.

    His chest rumbled against her cheek as he chuckled, "Does Blumore smell that unpleasant to you?"

    She pulled back and bared her teeth at him. "Well, there's certainly something disagreeable about your scent, but for the most part, you just smell like home." Her voice hitched a bit at the last word - a word that she tried hard not to associate with Blumore.