She-Devil

ALEX'S P.O.V.

"You better back off buddy you're outta your territory," Two-Bit hissed.

The three socs smiled drunkenly and my stomach twisted. One of them chuckled and stumbled as he took a step forward. My eyes flicked furiously back and forth. "We don't want any trouble," I croaked, keeping my eyes on the blade that the soc closest to me grasped in his hand. 

I had a pulling urge to run, but I knew if Two-Bit wasn't, then it wasn't a good idea. "Who's looking for trouble?" The front most soc laughed. "We're just looking for some action."

Two-Bit slowly slid his hand into his back pocket and pulled out a blade. It had a scary looking handle, long and big, and when he flipped the blade out, it was sharp. Two-Bit whipped the blade in front of him, causing the soc boy to take a cautionary step back. "Watch it." Two-Bit's voice was low and gravely. 

The soc stayed silent for a moment, uneasily looking down at the blade Two-Bit held. Even drunk, anyone could see that blade could have you pushing up daisies in one swipe. My mind momentarily flashed an image from a movie I once saw back in Texas. A movie about gangs up in New York. Those guys were tuff, real tuff. Most of them used heaters, but every now and then one of them pulled a switch—one like Two-bit's. 

The soc threw up his hands slightly, showing us him flicking his switch closed. "C'mon guys, I heard there's a beer blast down by the lake." The soc spit to his friends next to him. He then walked away with the other two following close behind. 

Just as the Mustang rolled away, another car drove up next to us and stopped. I squinted and saw it was Steve. He was looking at the Mustang that was driving away. "Did you guys just get in some trouble?" He asked.

Two-Bit held up his blade. "Not with this thing in my back pocket." He chuckled lowly. 

Steve's eyes wandered to the car that still emanated smoke. "I was just driving home, you guys need a ride somewhere?" 

Two-Bit looked back at the car, then at me. I was still a little shaken up, and had some questions about what just happened, but I remained calm and silent. "Yeah, can you drop me off at the Curtis house, then take Alex home?"  I turned my head to him in question. Almost reading my mind, he added: "My mom is gonna have a heart attack if you don't get home." 

I closed my mouth that hung open, knowing he was right. We climbed into the car and the two chatted in the front seat while I sat in the back. I pressed my forehead up against the warm glass and looked out at the passing houses. When we got back to the Curtis house, Two-Bit hopped out of the car and I switched to the front seat. "Tell my mom I'll be home as soon as possible." He tapped on the window once, then jogged into the front door.

I silently longed to go with him and hang out with the gang more, but I knew someone had to go home and check in with aunt Laney. I glanced over at Steve while we drove back to Two-Bit's house. He looked tired and wore out. I wanted to say something, break the awkward silence that hung thick in the air, but I couldn't come up with anything. "Ya wanna know something?" Steve asked out of the blue.

I didn't look at him, but I could tell he was smiling. "What?" I grinned, glad the silence was broken. 

"I think Soda likes you." 

"Really?" My heart skipped and stomach flurried. 

He shrugged. "Yeah." My lips curled into a small smile as I imagined Soda's bright smile. "A few months ago, his girlfriend Sandy cheated on him, and he just hasn't looked interested in any girls since. I haven't seen him look at a girl like he looked at you in a long time."