About That Night...

ALEX'S P.O.V.

He was walking pretty quick like he had to be somewhere, but I was mad, so I walked faster. I caught up with him and was only a few feet behind him. "Dallas," I said loudly.

He swung around, one of his newly purchased cigarettes hanging loosely from his mouth. His face lit up with surprise, then nervousness. "Hey-a Alex! Nice skirt ya got on, soc." He let out a chuckle. He then saw my stern, angry face, and his face fell, getting more nervous. "I-I-ah I've been looking all over town for you!"

"Bullshit." I stopped in front of him and folded my arms. "What happened to you that night? Why'd you leave me in the middle of the city drunk, alone, and in the rain? Huh!?" He stumbled over his words, started several sentences that he couldn't seem to finish. "Where'd you go?" My words were firm, and if they could be touched, they'd cut like a knife.

He cleared his throat. He looked me up and down and started walking again. "I got busted by the fuzz."

My expression softened slightly. I was a little taken aback. I knew that the cops had busted the party, but I thought Dally was too smart to get caught. "No kidding?" I stumbled to keep up with him.

He shook his head. "I went to go dance with that broad during the party and that's when the cops showed up and started cuffing people like crazy."

"Why'd you go dance with her?" I asked before I thought about it. I wanted to know, I just didn't know why.

"She was hot." He shrugged.

I scoffed, and whatever pity I felt for him getting hauled in by the cops disappeared. "You're a real piece a work, Dallas." I shook my head and started to walk away, swinging the bag containing the salt by my side.

"Hey!" He called after me. I didn't bother looking back, he had pissed me off and I was ready to get away from him. "Don't you wanna hear 'bout how I got out?" He jogged up beside me and matched my pace.

"Not at all actually." I clenched my jaw.

"Well when the cops hauled me in, they took me in on drug charges. But when we got there, well--I didn't have no drugs on me. I also wasn't on any drugs, so they couldn't hold me there. For some reason, they still held me there a few days, just not talking to me. Finally, I started banging on the cell door and yelling for a lawyer. That's when the damn fools let me out." He chuckled.

"So you walked out of that police station without a care in the world then!" I fake laughed.

"Pretty much." He popped his collar coolly.

"What about me? I had to call Sodapop from a payphone to have him sneak out and pick me up. Didn't think about that huh?"

He went quiet for a few moments. "I-I didn't know all that happened to you."

"Course ya didn't," I mumbled.

"Listen, it wasn't my fault I got held up? What do ya want me to say?"

I crossed my arms. "Nothing, Dallas. I don't blame you for anything. I only blame myself. I was stupid enough to sneak out with you and I realize I shouldn't have done that. My bad." I spoke angrily.

We walked for a few minutes in silence, and I could tell he was trying to come up with something to say. Soon, we arrived at Aunt Laney's house just as Two-Bit was pulling up. I hadn't even realized the sun had started to set and the afternoon breeze started to rustle the bushes. "Hey, Alex!" Two-Bit called hopping out of his car. "Dally buddy, where ya been?"

"Being a jackass apparently." He glanced at me.

Two-Bit shrugged with a laugh. "Ain't nothing new then!" Then he walked inside.