Adrenaline

We coasted down the countryside with the car radio softly playing. I was mostly listening to the sounds of nature that played like music from outside. It was a warm night with the occasional cool breeze. It was an interesting contrast between our last trip out together. 

 I couldn't help but look over at Dally. I discretely examined his face for the millionth time. I don't know why, but his facial features in combination with his personality was so interesting to me. His eyes weren't his usual hard and icy, they were relaxed and off-guard. He's very handsome. I thought to myself. I looked away hurriedly in vain. You can't think those kinds of things. My mind hissed. I clenched my jaw and bit my fingernail.

"Is it any use to ask where we are going?"

"Nope."

I nodded with a smirk and looked back out to the passing trees and fields.

Soon, we pulled onto an unkempt, dirt road. We drove only a little farther before stopping at the opening to a field, blocked by a short wooden fence. The engine cut out as he pulled the keys out of the ignition and the car rolled to a halt. "C'mon," he smirked as he ducked out of the car.

I shook my head with a slight laugh and climbed out also. The night seemed clearer out here. You could see the stars much more vividly than when you were in town. I took a deep breath, breathing in the scent of trees and a far-off rain. Dally waved his hand to follow him and I did just that. The night wind blew my hair behind my shoulders as I speed-walked to keep up with him. I saw him effortlessly jump over the fence with a chuckle under his breath. I climbed over the fence with a little more effort but eventually made it over. My shoes sloshed in the muddy puddle I landed in. I looked down and slowly stepped out of the puddle. "This better be good Winston." I cursed under my breath.

I followed him with a little hesitation around a bend of trees, to a large wooden barn. "Dallas..." I hummed unsurely. "Are we about to break the law?" I hissed as I jogged up to him.

"It's not fun unless you break the rules," he whispered.

I sighed as he pulled open the large and heavy-looking door. I heard stirring from inside the dark barn. There was one dim, flickering, hanging light in the middle of the barn that radiated a little light, but I didn't need a lot of light to see what was in the barn. The walls were lined with stalls, each occupied by a horse. "Ever rode a horse?" Dallas chuckled as he picked a lock on one of the stalls.

"Once or twice." I laughed nervously.

Dallas hummed. "Time to learn."

Soon the small padlock in Dallas's hands was unlocked, and he started on the lock to the stall next to that. After that lock was successfully picked, he brought out the two horses. One was tall and muscular looking. It was black and intimidating to me. The other was smaller and a light shade of brown. "Owner sometimes leaves the saddles on overnight. Good luck for us because I don't know how to saddle a horse." He smirked.

He pulled himself up onto the taller horse and got his balance. "Hop on, Matthews."

I gulped and reluctantly started to walk over to the smaller horse. I pet its nose and it seemed calm. Unusually calm for a horse that didn't know who we were. "Shouldn't the horses be a little more frightened of us?" I asked, glancing at Dally who was trotting around the barn.

"I do this too often for them to be."

"Oh, so you're a serial illegal horse rider?" I laughed.

"Would you rather me be a serial bank robber in my free time?"

I smiled at the ground before I jumped and tried to get on the horse. I scrambled to get on top of the horse, falling back to the ground. I could hear Dally laugh from behind me. I cleared my throat and jumped up again, this time not even getting close to on before falling back to the ground. I groaned. "Need some help there buddy?" Dally chuckled throatily.