Charlie- Part 2

Dead tired, Charlie hauled herself out of bed and crawled her hand over the bedside table to find her glasses. Last night had tuckered her out and it was already way past noon- hot, and time to go water. She yawned and grabbed her car keys, stuffing her feet into a pair of shoes. She didn't bother changing, not when all she was going to do was water for a few minutes then come back home. Her parents were relaxing in the living room and she told them where she was going as she tied her messy hair up. She left without noticing they were staring curiously at the bold Jessica Trapasso written over the right upper side of her chest.

     Charlie felt a mess. She had gotten an apology from Ryan via text and phone call, but that didn't erase how awful last night was. In the scheme of things, it was nothing, but being anxious made Charlie believe that night had been a complete disaster. She scrubbed her face as she parked in the school lot at the bottom of the hill and didn't pay any attention to the only other car in the lot. She trudged up hill, dirtying the hem of her pajama pants, and saw another student spraying his flowerbed. It was Patrick, she remembered. He was just as quiet as her in class but she thought it was because his family owned a ranch and knew most everything already. He was a good-looking kid, strong and firm, and wide awake, apparently. He noticed Charlie and waved politely, handing off the hose when he was finished with it. She smiled at him. As he left he tipped an invisible cap and tucked one of his thumbs in the front of his jeans, wiping his mouth with his free hand. Charlie chuckled internally at his blatant farm-boy demeanor. She didn't think he even noticed that he was a walking stereotype.

     Yawning, Charlie watered the cucumbers first. She wiggled her fingers under the water stream and enjoyed the cool. Maybe when she returned home she'd take a cold shower to combat the heat. Then she'd read, maybe watch TV and get online, or have lunch with her parents, perhaps go out for it if everyone wanted to. She smiled softly. Cucumbers done, she moved onto the carrots. This assignment was going to be done with ease as long as everything grew healthy enough. Jessica was gorgeous and surely would bring tons of people to their stand when the farmer's market came round. That A was in the bag.

     "I said I'd water them this weekend."

     Charlie jumped and gasped, dropping the hose to soak one side of the flowerbed and drowning a few not yet grown carrots. She quickly pulled the hose up and out of the bed, surprised when the water stopped flowing. She turned to find Jessica standing a little ways away with her hand on the knob. Charlie returned her focus to the bed, frowning. The carrots should be fine, but if not, it was early enough that she could plant a few more.

     "What are you doing here?"

     Straightening out, Charlie blushed. She started rolling up the hose so she wouldn't have to look at Jessica's face. "I didn't think you'd show."

     Jessica said nothing until Charlie looked up, and her eyes fell to Charlie's right breast. Charlie looked down and flushed. "You're still wearing my shirt."

     "Yeah..." Charlie had fallen asleep in it, not bothering to take it off. All she had energy for last night was kicking off her jeans and replacing them with comfortable bottoms so she could at least sleep well after the ordeal. Now she realized how lazy and ridiculous she must look.

     "Well, are we done?"

     Charlie nodded and started down the hill, Jessica close behind. The two reached the lot and their cars, sitting directly next to each other. Charlie fidgeted as she struggled with her keys, just like last night, and she grew hot.

     "Are you hungry?" Jessica reached into her car through the passenger side window and brought out a fast food bad, grease staining the bottom. Charlie sighed and felt better, the out of character act giving her something to focus on other than her own failings. She finally got her car door open.