Not-Date

The cucumbers were due to be side-dressed and given a thick layer of mulch. Charlie did so with glee, proud of the healthy progress of her plant babies. What made the experience memorable was the fact that Jessica helped without a single complaint, and even Ms. Decker seemed impressed. Charlie adored her budding crops and knelt down beside the carrot flowerbed, her hands on the bricks. Two weeks more and they too would require mulch.

     "There's a game tonight," said Jessica, squatting down. She was in her cheer uniform.

     Charlie hummed in response. Jessica's presence no longer instilled her with fear, but with light curiosity.

     "Do you want to do something after?"

     "Jessica..." Dirt crunched as Charlie turned. "I don't..."

     "I know, I know." Jessica held up her hands. "I'm not asking you on a date or anything. But we can be friends, right? I've given you space, haven't I?"

     That, at least, was true. Jessica had stayed away outside of class, and Charlie appreciated it, but, still, her feelings were murky. Even so, she wasn't so dim as to think space was the ultimate solution. They had to spend a little time together in order for Charlie to truly know if Jessica was worthy of being close to. "I understand that you want an answer, but I can't give you one yet," said Charlie. She bit her lip. This way, she thought, it wasn't so hard. "But, I guess, we can hang out after. For a little while."

     Jessica shuffled to place herself more firmly. "Really?"

     "Really." Charlie held back a smile. "But no parties, okay?"

     "Deal." Jessica stood. "Should I call you when the game is over or...?"

     "That would be fine, yes."

     "Good. Right. Good." Jessica cleared her throat and awkwardly moved her arms about, switching between grasping her hips and hugging her stomach. Her face was crimson, and Charlie smiled softly, now knowing that it wasn't anger. Jessica's Rage Red was Flustered Red, and it was charming in light of the truth. Clenched jaw and flaring nostrils hid something playful. Charlie was glad it was in good nature.

     When class ended Charlie drove Ryan home then informed her parents what was to happen. Dennis marveled at his daughter's progress, and hoped the not-date went well. Charlie, though, only hoped it wasn't an awkward disaster. She showered for no other reason than to waste time, and dressed in comfortable clothing, trusting Jessica's seriousness about not going to any kind of party. Then she laid in bed and resumed a book she had started the day before. Within the hour she was drowsy, and she slipped into a soft nap without meaning to, gasping awake when her phone rang. She dropped her book to the floor and scrambled for the shrieking device.

     "Hello?"

     "Were you sleeping?" asked Jessica, sounding winded.

     Charlie moved to rub her eyes, hit her glasses, and frowned at the clear mark her fingers made. "Yeah. I guess I fell asleep. What are you doing? You sound funny."

     "Sorry. I was rushing to get out of my uniform and away from the squad. Are you tired? We can go out tomorrow instead..."

     "Oh, actually." Charlie yawned and put her glasses down after cleaning them. "Maybe. I don't think I'm up for tonight. Sorry."

     "Oh, okay, um... That's okay. Okay. I guess... Good night? I'll call you tomorrow."

     Charlie was already cuddling into her blankets. She hummed and pulled the phone from her ear. "Good night, Jessica. See you," she mumbled before hanging up.