p r o l o g u e

In down town London stood an ordinary orphanage, one of no magical heritage. The outside was coated in a dull shade of black and small, grimy windows were littered every few meters away from each other. A large iron fence surrounded the building, a plaque centred in the middle. The words Wool's Orphanage engraved into it in big, bold letters. Ariel Verde stood in front of the gates, a woman from child protection services resting a hand on her shoulder.

Ariel felt a shiver wrack her body. This orphanage did not look friendly in the slightest. She was already mourning her parents death and having to be sent someplace new just heightening her grieving, she has never been good with making friends.

The nice old woman led her inside, and knocked on the large door three times. Ariel twisted her hair and bit the inside of her cheek nervously. What if the children didn't like her?

The door was opened by a stern looking woman who, in Ariel's opinion, resembled a bird. She looked down at a five year old Ariel with distaste. She then glanced back up at the women with Ariel.

"Hello, you must be Mrs. Cole. I'm Elizabeth Ray. I'm here to drop off little Ariel. You were aware of her arrival, yes?" The lady spoke with a sweet tone, smiling down at Ariel.

"Unfortunately, I was. Come now, little girl, don't just stand there." The woman, now known as Mrs. Cole, beckoned Ariel. Ariel begrudgingly left the grip of the lady she was with and entered the orphanage. She heard a small 'goodbye!' from the lady she was just with, and the door slammed behind them.

Mrs. Cole pushed Ariel to the living area, where a bunch of kids were playing about.

"Tom!" A boy, no more than a year older than Ariel, looked up from the book he was reading and glowered at the sight of Mrs. Cole. Nevertheless, he got up and walked to where Ariel was standing.

"Go show Ariel her room, that she will be sharing with you. I now have extra paperwork to do thanks to this little booger," and with a slap to the back of Ariel's head, she left.

"I'm Tom, Tom Riddle," Tom extended his hand towards Ariel, a small smile playing on his lips. He was happy that he would finally have a friend, he was happy that he finally had someone to talk to.

"Verde, Ariel Verde." Ariel clasped her hands in his, and they skipped up the stairs to their now shared room.

"Tom!" Ariel giggled as she pounced on top of her best friend. He grumbled but wrapped his arms around her frame and embraced her in a rare hug. He smiled slightly to himself, happy to have his Ariel back.

The kids at the orphanage had just went to the beach nearby, and Tom wasn't willing to go. Ariel had agreed though, and she was gone for the whole day. It was rather lonely for Tom.

A knock sounded at the door, followed by it creaking open. Mrs. Cole stood there, as strict as ever.

"Tom, you have a visitor. Ariel, my dear, please come out so they can talk in private." Ariel gave Tom a peck on the cheek before following after Mrs. Cole, who had grown a certain fondness for Ariel.

A man with a bright plum coloured suit and an auburn beard walked into the small room, and welcomed Tom. He told him magnificent things. About how he was a wizard, how he will be leaving the orphanage and going to a school named Hogwarts. Tom was enthralled.

"What about Ariel? Is she coming as well?" Tom eagerly looked at the old man, sulking as he shook his head.

"I'm afraid she is not Tom. Do not fear though, you will be able to see her during the vacations." Dumbledore said, "now, we have to go to Diagon Alley to get your things, come along then."

It's been 6 months since Ariel had last seen Tom, and she missed him so. She figured he would come back from his boarding school on the winter holidays, but he never did.

Ariel also realized something. She couldn't protect herself without Tom. She couldn't fend off the bullies at the orphanage who taunted her constantly.

It was one particularly lonely evening when it happened. Billy Stubbs, her and Tom's tormentor, was teasing her and pulling her hair.

"Haven't got your precious Riddle to protect you now, don't you? I bet he's forgotten all about you, I bet he's found another best friend." Silent tears tracked down Ariel's cheeks as she reached for the book he'd stolen from her, but to no avail, Billy had it higher than she could reach.

Ariel already knew Tom had forgotten. She knew he moved on. She knew she was nothing but another person to him anymore, yet she still didn't want to believe it. Hearing it coming from someone else's mouth just ticked her off.

"BUGGER OFF BILLY! GO AWAY!" Ariel screamed, tears blurring her vision. She could see the hazy silhouettes standing around them, chanting the words "Fight! Fight! Fight!"

A sudden wave of anger flooded Ariel's mind as if it was a tsunami. Ariel felt a burst of energy escape her, and Billy Stubbs was sent flying into a wall. Once Ariel recovered, she noticed all the kids around her crying. She also noticed Billy slipping in and out of consciousness, a large amount of blood seeping out of his head and torso.

Mrs. Cole ran into the room, and immediately all fingers were pointed at Ariel.

"Hello, Ariel. I am Professor Dumbledore." The man was sat on Tom's bed, opposite of Ariel. A strange sense of déjà vu washed over him.

"If you're going to take me away to a juvenile camp, then I suggest you take Billy as well. He started it." Ariel stared at her hands, muttering the sentence with a high level of anxiety.

Dumbledore chuckled. "I can assure you my dear that I am not going to drag you off to a camp. I am here to assess the problem that occurred yesterday."

"Once again I tell you, professor, Billy started it."

"I do not care about who started it Ms, Verde, I care about what provoked it. How were you feeling when you hurt Billy?"

"Angry... Confused... Fruste- wait. Why do you care? Are you a doctor? You are going to take me away are you? Not to a camp but to an asylum no less!"

Dumbledore remained calm at her sudden outburst. "I am not going to take you to a camp, nor an asylum. Ms. Verde, I am here to take you to Hogwarts. You may remember Tom," Ariel let out a snort at his name, "he is a wizard, so I took him to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry once he turned 11. You, my dear, are not yet 11, but you show a strength that no other 11 year old can do. Although it's a bit sudden; what, with it being the middle of the school year. You will be the youngest, but I'm sure you can catch up on everything in no time. So, what do you say?"

"I say you're mad."

"All the best people are."

Turns out, Dumbledore isn't so mad after all. Since Ariel now sat, waiting to be sorted by the ratty old hat. Everyone was silently watching her. Her case was one of a kind, never before seen. They were wary, yet intrigued.

"A very sharp mind, might I say. Witty too. I say Ravenclaw would be the place to go. Hmm, no no no, not Ravenclaw. That house won't do you justice. How about Gryffindor? No, you lack the chivalry. Hufflepuff doesn't suit you at all either... AHA!" Ariel jumped in her seat as the hat's loud voice echoed through her head, "I know...

"SLYTHERIN!"

The house in the green and silver cheered, hoots and whistles coming from all over. Ariel caught the eye of an all too familiar someone.

Tom Riddle.