f o u r

"I know you're an elemental, Ariel."

Ariel's whole body froze, her mind stopped working and she stopped breathing. She felt as if she was petrified, and the only thing that seemed to be functioning properly was her heart. But even that seemed to be broken, since it was beating erratically.

Tom smirked at the girl before him. He now had a very valuable piece of information that can blackmail someone into doing his every command. He had it figured out that she was the one that saved the minnow from the squid when he saw her in the broom cupboard with Lestrange and Willows.

"I don't know what you're talking about..." Ariel forced out an unbelievable lie, and Tom saw right through her.

"You've always been a horrible liar, Verde. Don't worry, I won't tell. But I need something of you." Tom staled closer to where Ariel sat, appearing as if he was a predator about to catch his prey. He pushed Ariel back onto the couch she was seated on, and leaned over to whisper in her ear.

His voice was smooth, like velvet. His tone was seductive and laced with lust. Ariel felt as though she was sinking, into a hazy pool of desire.

"I would like you to fake attraction towards me, Ariel." Before she could protest, he added something that made her shut up, "and if you don't agree, I'll just tell everyone you're little secret."

Ariel contemplated this. No, she couldn't let anyone know about her secret, but that didn't mean she wanted to pretend to be infatuated with Tom.

"Hold on... Why in the world would you want me to 'pretend' to like you?" She just now realized this, and a small frown decorated Tom's face as he thought over his answer. He seemed to come up with an easy lie, not wanting to tell the girl the truth.

"Slughorn seems to want us together, and if we act like it, he'll like us even more. He'll do whatever we please." Ariel nodded at his answer, still skeptical. She thought about her answer one last time, until a small smirk pulled at her lips.

"Alright."

Ariel felt a warm hand press against her knee as she sat next to Tom at the Slytherin table. Ivy was all the way at the other side, making lovey dovey faces with Darius. Abraxas Malfoy, Valentino Rosier and Orion Black sat in front of her, all whispering in hushed voices. Abraxas occasionally sent a small, reassuring smile to Ariel. She had a nagging feeling he knew about her and Tom's deal.

"Slughorn saw us, and he seems to be extremely happy." Tom ushered over to the man with a giddy smile hiding under his walrus like moustache. Ariel felt a faint smile cross her features.

The hand that was on her knee started inching it's way to her thigh, until it reached the hem of her skirt. Just as Tom was about to slip his hand under her skirt, she slapped his hand away.

"No. Tom, we're pretending. We're not an actual couple, so we aren't going to do what actual couples do." Tom smirked, leaned closer to her, and pressed his cooling lips against the shell of her ears.

"Do you want to be an actual couple?
Do you want to do what actual couples do?" Although he was teasing, Ariel felt a bright blush colour her face.

"No!" She whisper/shouted defensively.

"Alright then. But the offer is always open." He sat back down in his place, a smug look on his face.

Ariel was bored. Bored out of her mind. She sat beside the Black Lake, braiding the blades of grass under her. She had a free period, and since she finished her homework the night before, she had no idea what to do.

She hadn't a clue to where any one of her friends disappeared to, neither did she care. She only noticed three other people on the courtyard. A trio of third year Ravenclaws reading under the willow tree not too far away. For this reason, she couldn't use her powers to entertain her.

A rustling of leaves sounded above her, and before she could blink, a boy was seated next to her. He had blue eyes, but unlike Tom's, they shone with happiness. His face structure was defined, and his light brown hair messily covered his forehead.

"Hey. I'm Kai Brigade, you looked lonely so I came over here to talk to you. How ya doin'?" He shook her hand and smiled a large smile, one that seemed to reach his ears. Ariel recognized him as the Gryffindor seeker, and an immediate sense of uncertainty pulled at her heartstrings.

"I'm a Slytherin, why're you talking to me? Aren't you supposed to hate my guts or something?" Kai just laughed.

"Nah, I don't hate you, I barely know you! All I know is that your name is Ariel and you're dating that Riddle, and if I was anyone else I would've been wary of that fact alone. That boy creeps me out! But hey, everyone has their kinks and I respect whatever you have going on with him an-"

"Kinks? What- no! Tom and I, we're just-" she wanted to say 'just friends' but she couldn't. Because they weren't just friends, they were fake lovers. "Just. We're just- yeah."

Kai had a large grin on his face that was way too cheeky for it's own good. Ariel awkwardly coughed. This boy beside her was one of a kind. Talks too much? Check. Handsome? Yeah, check. Sweet? She doesn't know yet but from what she experienced with him so far, he was more cheeky than sweet.

"I'm joking, Ariel."

"Yeah, I knew that." Ariel bit her lip in order to keep her from grimacing at her sheer cringiness and awkwardness.

"So, friends?" Kai looked at her expectantly, a strange glimmer in his eye.

"Friends."