Chapter 11

It was just before 5am. The sky was still dark and most of the city still slept. Lyra began to toss and turn in her sleep. She felt uneasy and it went on for a few minutes. Suddenly, she woke up and leapt out of bed, running to her bathroom before retching and vomiting into the toilet bowl. She sat on the ground, wondering why she was sick all of a sudden. A few minutes later, she emptied the contents of her stomach into the toilet again. After a while, once she was certain she wasn’t going to be sick again, she flushed the toilet and got up to wash her face so she could feel refreshed. She still felt really tired, so passing it off as probably eating something funny yesterday, she returned to bed.

Although she was tired, she couldn’t go back to sleep. Putting on her bedside lamp, she took her mother’s diary and began to read it as she sat up against the headboard. Before she knew it, the sun had risen and there was a knock at the door.

“Come in,” she said as she put her book down.
One of the maid's walked in and bowed. “Good morning, your highness.”
“Good morning.”
The maid stood straight again. “Breakfast is almost ready. Also, the dress designer will be coming later so you can choose a dress for tonight’s event,” she informed.
Lyra sighed, forgetting about the party tonight. “Oh yeah, I forgot about that.”
“And you also have to choose a dress for your wedding.”
Lyra groaned after hearing that causing the maid to giggle quietly. “Ugh, okay. Thank you. Can you do my hair for tonight?” she asked the maid.
She nodded. “Of course, your highness. I’ll come by in the afternoon to help you get ready.”

Lyra nodded and then the maid left, leaving Lyra to get ready for the day. She wore a simple outfit before going down to the dining room to join her father for breakfast. When she saw the breakfast items for that morning, she had no desire to eat. She called one of the maids and apologised before specially requesting for sweet pancakes with strawberries. As the maid rushed off, she sighed quietly and sat back in her seat.

“Are you alright, my dear?” King Regis asked as he took notice of her appearance. “You look a little pale.”
Lyra smiled softly and nodded. “I’m fine. I felt a little sick this morning but I’ll be okay.”
The King wasn’t very reassured by her words but he gave a nod. “Once you’ve met with the designer, I want you to take rest before this evening’s event.”
“I will.” She then looked around, suddenly noticing that Luna hadn’t joined them. “Where is Luna?”
“She had to return to the hotel to join her brother. She will meet us again at the party tonight,” he told her.

Lyra nodded and soon her specially requested breakfast was served to her. She thanked them before beginning to eat. She hoped she would have been able to meet Nyx, but she knew she would only see him again at the party. King Regis soon left to attend yet another meeting and the designer had arrived early.

Lyra looked through many of the ready made dresses the designer had brought. It was like a dress shop had been set up in the reception hall and there were so many to choose from. However, Lyra was soon set on her dress for that night.