Chapter 23

Noctis and Gladiolus went into the room as Lyra continued to hold onto Nyx.

Noctis crouched down next to her. “We need to get out of here,” he said quietly.

Lyra looked up at him and nodded before wiping away her tears. Gladiolus helped Lyra lift Nyx up and they both carried him out. Nyx grunted slightly from pain but he was able to stand and walk weakly with the support. Libertus and Prompto had tied the scientist to his chair and they had deleted all files and documents related to this “research”. Ignis still had a hold on Ravus and as Lyra walked passed him, she stopped.

“Come with us,” she told him.
Ravus looked at her with a shocked expression but it quickly disappeared. “I have no desire to.”
“Ravus, please. You can start a new life. Luna would be so happy.”
He frowned slightly but sighed. “Just go. I’ll cover for you. For old time’s sake.”

Lyra breathed out, knowing that he wouldn’t change his mind. Ravus soon led the way and the rest of them followed. Nyx was in pain but he didn’t show it as Lyra and Gladiolus held onto him. Ravus dismissed anyone who got in the way and by that meaning he killed them. As soon as he escorted them out of the building, he said nothing more before leaving them to make their own way.

Prompto spotted a truck near the fence and they all got in. Lyra sat with Nyx at the front as he leaned on her so he could rest whilst Ignis managed to hot wire the truck to get it started and the rest of the team climbed into the back before they set off.

Fortunately, they didn’t come across anyone to block their way and they soon arrived at the border. They dumped the truck before getting into the cars they had hidden there and they quickly drove away back to Insomnia. Gladiolus drove to the nearest hospital whilst the others went back to the citadel.

Once they arrived at the hospital, the doctors quickly took Nyx into an examination room and made Lyra and Gladiolus wait outside. She looked at Gladiolus and it suddenly hit her.

“He’s in there. Nyx is actually in there and he’s alive,” she said with shock.
Gladiolus smiled. “Yes, he is. I’m sorry we didn’t believe you.”
Lyra returned the smile. “Honestly, I almost didn’t believe myself. I thought I was going crazy but I just knew there was something bigger happening.”
“Well, I’m glad you proved us wrong.”
Lyra suddenly embraced him in a tight hug. “Thank you, Gladio. Thank you for believing in me. And thank you for everything. I could thank you for the rest of my life and it wouldn’t be enough.”
Gladiolus hugged her back and smiled. “Just seeing you happy is enough of a reward.”

The doctor then walked out of the examination room and approached them as they parted from the hug. He was looking at his clipboard, quickly going through the notes again.

“He seems to be quite the fighter,” he told them. “His internal organs are weak but with thorough care and medication, he'll be back to normal in no time. All he has to do is rest. We’ll take care of everything else.”
“Thank you, doctor. Can I see him?” Lyra asked.
“Of course.”
“I’ll wait for you out here,” Gladiolus said. “I’ll call the others and let them know what’s happening.”

Lyra nodded and walked into the room. There was just a nurse in there, finishing checking the machines he was attached to before bowing to Lyra and walking out. Lyra looked to see Nyx sleeping calmly as the machine beeped regularly and the drip slowly going down the tube to help him recover. She got the stool and sat next to the bed.

Gently, she placed her hand on top of his and stroked her thumb against it. She gazed at his face, still not believing how fortunate she was. A year after his death, he was able to come back to her. She couldn’t wait for him to recover and go home with her where they could finally live the life they dreamed of. And she couldn’t wait to show him his son. She lay her head down on his hand and closed her eyes, slowly falling asleep as well.

***

Over the course of the next week, Lyra was in and out of the hospital a few times a day. She would go back to the citadel to spend time with her son and to feed him and the rest of the time, she would go to the hospital to be with Nyx. He had been asleep most of the time, waking up at times but only for a couple of minutes before falling asleep again. Lyra didn’t bring the baby to the hospital and stay in one of the family rooms because she didn’t think it was a pleasant environment for him. She decided she would bring him once Nyx was starting to feel better and when he was more alert.

She was currently sitting beside his bed and gently stroking her fingers across his cheek. The nurse had just trimmed his beard since it had grown quite a bit and he was starting to look healthier. As she admired his face, he started to awaken. His eyes flickered open slowly and he turned slowly to look at Lyra. She smiled softly and got up to sit beside him on the bed.

“Hey,” she said quietly. “How are you feeling?”
He smiled and blinked slowly. “Better,” he answered weakly. “I hope...I was worth the wait.”
Lyra laughed quietly. “I would wait a million years to be with you again.”

She looked into his eyes and softly stroked his cheek again as tears began to silently roll down her cheeks. Nyx slowly lifted his hand and wiped them away with his thumb before Lyra held onto his hand and placed a kiss on it, holding his hand to her chest.

“Don’t cry,” he said to her.
“I missed you so much,” she whispered. “I love you.”
“I love you, too.” He held her hand and closed his eyes. “How’s my son?”
Lyra smiled. “He’s just like you and he has your eyes. I’ve named him Regis Nyx Ulric. I call him my little hero.”
Nyx chuckled weakly and opened his eyes again. “When I'm out of here...we should think about...making more.”
She laughed softly before placing her free hand on his cheek. “You just focus on getting better.”

She leaned down, closing her eyes as she pressed her lips onto his, giving him a long and deep kiss. He lifted his hand and placed it on the back of her head, weakly capturing her lips and kissing her back.

“Ahem,” someone coughed to announce their presence.

Lyra quickly pulled away and blushed embarrassingly as she turned to see Noctis standing at the door. The blood rushed to her cheeks as she stood up from the bed but Nyx still had hold of her hand.

“Noctis, I didn’t hear you come in,” she said with a nervous laugh at the end.
“Well, obviously you wouldn’t,” he said as a sly smile crossed his lips. He walked into the room and stood on the other side of the bed. “How’s my future brother-in-law doing?”
“Prince Noctis...” Nyx tried to sit up but groaned from the pain.
Noctis put his hand on his shoulder and made him lay back down. “Relax. Besides, we’re family now.”
Once Nyx settled back down, he gently squeezed Lyra's hand. “Hopefully I'll be out of here soon.”
“Good.” Noctis looked at Lyra. “Luna and I were discussing our wedding earlier.”
Lyra smiled excitedly at his words. “Really?”
“Yeah. And then Luna came up with an even better idea,” he added, causing Lyra to look at him in question. “You and Nyx should get married on the same day. It’ll be a double celebration.”

Lyra wasn’t expecting that at all and she looked down at Nyx. She had kept the ring on her finger ever since he proposed to her and she would love to be finally wed to him. Nyx gave her a small nod, sensing what she was thinking and she smiled, looking back at Noctis.

“Okay. But you would have to wait a while for Nyx to get better,” she said.
“We’re in no rush. And it would make the day more special,” he said to her with a smile.

Soon, a nurse walked in with some food for Nyx. She placed it on the table as Noctis bid them farewell before leaving the room. Lyra requested if she could feed him and the nurse happily obliged before leaving the room. Lyra pushed the button to lift his bed so he was raised slightly before taking the bowl of soup from the table. She took a spoonful and blew on it gently, holding it to his lips.

“Open up.”

He opened his mouth a little and drank the soup but he frowned straight after.

“That is disgusting,” he said.
Lyra sighed and sat down on the bed. “I know but you have to eat or else you won’t get better.”
Nyx breathed out quietly. “I’ll eat...but you have to eat it with me.”
Lyra narrowed her eyes at him and frowned. “Fine,” she said before taking a spoonful of the soup. She began coughing at the taste. “It tastes like flour paste.”

Nyx laughed weakly and Lyra couldn’t help but smile. She continued to feed him whilst also feeding herself between each spoonful. As much as she hated it, she would do anything to help him recover.