Chapter 25

The next morning, Nyx had woken up before Lyra. He had been awake for quite a while with her snuggled to his chest. He watched her, wondering how many sleepless nights she must have had. She looked so peaceful as she slept and he didn’t want to do anything that would disturb her.

She rolled over onto her back but then subconsciously shuffled back until she was right up against him. Even in her sleep, she just wanted to be as close to him as possible. He couldn’t take his eyes off her, smiling as he softly moved away a strand of hair that had fallen over her face. After all this time, he was still blown away by her beauty, unable to believe how lucky he was to be with her.

He continued to look at her, his thumb gently stroking over her cheek and then over her soft lips. As he did so, she quietly breathed out his name.

“Nyx...”

He blinked a couple of times, hoping he hadn’t disturbed her. He sat up slightly, leaning on his elbow and slightly leaning over her. She still looked fast asleep.

“Lyra,” he whispered. “Are you awake?”

After a few seconds she started mumbling in her sleep, making Nyx laugh quietly.

“Shh, I love you too,” she said more clearly.

Nyx couldn’t help but smile at her words, looking at her face as he placed a soft kiss on her cheek. As soon as he kissed her, she slowly started to wake, making Nyx regret his earlier action. She stretched her arms out and then relaxed as her eyes slowly opened. She instantly blushed upon seeing Nyx leaning over her and watching her.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to wake you,” he said quietly.
She smiled softly. “It’s okay. I had to wake up anyway. What time is it?”
He looked at the clock before answering. “It’s just after 8.”
“What?!” Her eyes suddenly widened and she quickly sat up, climbing out of bed. “It’s so late.”
Nyx quickly grabbed her hand and pulled her back into bed. “Hey, calm down,” he said as he wrapped his arms around her from behind.
She turned her head to look back at him. “But it’s time for your medication.”
“Lyra,” he sighed. “I can have my medicine later. Right now, all I want is you.”
“But, Nyx-“
He stopped her from talking by pulling her onto his lap as he sat up so she was straddling him. “Please,” he said as he looked into her eyes. “You can heal me more than any medicine in this world.”
She sighed in defeat. “Okay, you win.” She smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck.
“Good,” he smiled as he held her hips.

He buried his face into her neck and instantly began kissing deeply whilst gently biting and sucking against her skin. Her head rolled back slightly as she closed her eyes, letting out a quiet moan. It had been too long since he had been able to pleasure her this way and Lyra clearly had only become more sensitive to his touch. All he wanted at that moment was to make up for all the lost time. His hands moved down her thighs as he continued to leave his mark on her neck before his hands travelled up her night dress and up to her waist. It only urged him on even more as she moaned into his ear, her hands clutching onto the back of his shirt as her back arched slightly, pushing her breasts against him.

*KNOCK, KNOCK*

Lyra gasped and Nyx moved his head away, groaning in frustration and falling back onto the bed as Lyra quickly jumped off the bed. Straightening out her clothes, she collected herself and then opened the door a little to see a very sleepy looking Noctis holding a very wide awake Regis.

“He’s all yours,” Noctis said grumpily as he handed his nephew over, clearly not having had enough sleep.
“Aw, thank you, Noctis,” Lyra said as she took the baby. “And thank you for taking him for the night.”
“It’s okay.” He was about to leave before something caught his eye. “Hey, what’s that mark on your neck?”

Lyra's eyes widened as she quickly put her hand over it, a deep blush rising to her cheeks and Noctis instantly clocked what it was, making his own eyes grow big.

“Oh, i-it's nothing,” she said with an awkward laugh.
“Pft, yeah, okay,” he laughed at his sister’s embarrassment before leaving with a wave.

Lyra shut the door and breathed out deeply before walking back to the bed. Nyx sat up again as Lyra placed Regis down on his back whilst he tried eating his own hand.

“Looks like I’ll be wearing a turtle neck today,” she sighed.
He chucked as he pulled Regis’ hand out of his mouth. “Sorry about that.”
Lyra sat down and smiled. “It’s okay. It’s worth it.” She kissed his cheek before resting her head on his shoulder. “He needs a diaper change,” she said before pulling out the wipes and diaper from the drawer.
Nyx took them off her. “I’ll do it.”
“Are you sure?” she asked, raising her brows. “You don’t have to.”
“Of course I’m sure. I wasn’t here when you carried him for 9 months and pretty much looked after him by yourself. I’m his father and I want to do my bit, too,” he said.
She smiled softly. “Okay. Do you know how to change a diaper?”
“No,” he admitted. “But it can’t be that hard, right?”

He began changing the baby's diaper, looking quite disgusted as he wiped away whatever he let out during the night. Lyra just watched in amusement as Nyx mumbled to himself as he tried to put a fresh one on, but he couldn’t figure out which way it went. After watching him struggle for a short while, she showed him the right way and he soon finished.

“See? I did it,” Nyx said proudly as he lifted Regis up and nuzzled his nose against his. “Us guys have got to stick together. Your mother is quite a bossy lady.”
Lyra whacked his arm and laughed before standing up with her hands on her hips. “I am not. Now, we’re already late as it is thanks to you. So, if you don’t mind, I’m going to freshen up and get dressed and then you’re going to do the same. Then we’re going to go and have breakfast so you can take your medicine.”
Nyx looked at her and then looked at Regis. “Didn’t I tell you? Bossy lady.”

Lyra sighed before sticking her tongue out at him and going into the en-suite bathroom. To cover up the large noticeable love bite on her neck, she wore an oversized turtle neck jumper along with some skinny jeans. Once Nyx was ready and the baby had been fed, they headed down to the dining room. Everyone except Noctis were already there.

“Hey, what’s with the jumper? It’s so warm today,” Prompto asked innocently.
Lyra flushed but tried to play it off cool as Nyx smiled to himself as he sat down. “Oh, I’m just coming down with a cold,” she made up with a fake cough at the end.
“Ohh, that’s why you’re covering your neck,” he said as if be had figured it out.
“Sure,” Lyra shrugged before sitting down.

She discreetly nudged Nyx with her elbow making him look at her with a sly smirk.

The day went on with them all discussing future plans for Insomnia. They would need to rebuild homes for the citizens, which was already underway, they would need to have a council again but Noctis knew exactly who he would be having by his side. The gate watcher who had helped Nyx whilst he was escaping also presented himself to them, pledging to continue his work in guarding the city and also gathering other members to join him.

At the end of the day, Nyx and Lyra had gone to their room for the night, this time with the baby. Lyra couldn’t put Noctis through another sleepless night. Nyx was playing with Regis whilst Lyra changed into her night clothes before joining them on the bed. The baby was lying down on the bed, giggling away as Nyx tickled him. Lyra smiled, watching them and then she pulled out Nyx's phone from the bedside table drawer.

“You’ve kept that all this time?” he asked her with surprise.
“Yeah,” she answered as she flipped it open, lighting up the screen. “The pictures we took on here really helped to keep me sane,” she admitted. “But I think it’s time we took some more pictures.”
Nyx leaned over and kissed her cheek. “I agree.”

Lyra smiled softly as she opened the camera. Nyx lifted Regis up between them and they began having their own little photoshoot. They took so many pictures, more than they had taken previously. Regis was loving the attention he got from his parents, really stealing the limelight in every picture with his adorable smile and small dimples in his chubby cheeks. As they looked through the pictures, they chose their favourite one and set it as the wallpaper; Nyx and Lyra kissing each of Regis' cheeks as he smiled brightly.

“I love it,” Lyra said as she looked at it.
“So do I,” Nyx agreed before pecking her on the lips. “And I love you.”
She smiled and pecked his lips again. “I love you, too.”

Regis soon fell asleep and he was placed into his cot for the night. Once Lyra climbed back into bed, Nyx wrapped his arms around her as she put her back to his front. He nuzzled his face into her hair and closed his eyes as he held her hand. She smiled softly knowing how tired he was from the medication, locking their fingers together and soon falling asleep.