Chapter 30: The War of Mars

Mars is packed with battle everywhere. The only way we're going to get through them is to find out their command.
"Why is it our Exo friend is so urging to destroy the Black Garden? For her benefit, I mean," Nolan asked.
I shrugged. "I dunno. But that's a good question," I said, laying on my bed and staring at the ceiling.

"Let's just go over a brief summary of Mars," I said. "Vex are fighting the Cabal, trying to make Mars into another one of their machine worlds. The Cabal, on the other hand, they are just holding the place down and trying to see how the Portal works."

Then he adds, "So we're in the middle of war, we need to play stealth and gain the information they both have. When I access the database with the access key, I found a Vex spire that the Cabal are defending it, heavily. We're gonna need some help. But before we can even access the spire, we need to be able to gain access to a higher tier database. According to the Cabal, the Leader of the Dust Giants, Valus Ta'aurc. He's in charge here, and it will not be easy getting in. I recommend multiple Guardians."

I think about his. The Cabal are tough, and we'll need to get all the help we can get.
"Contact Indigo, Carolina, Violet, Marcus, and Felix. Tell them we're planning a Strike. A Raid sized Strike."

+ + +

We all meet at a round table in a late afternoon in my room. I sit slouched, Indigo is reading a book, Felix is twiddling his thumbs, Violet is playing with her mini Nova bomb on her hand, Marcus is waiting patiently and eating, and Carolina is refreshing her armor.

"Okay," I said, getting everyone's attention. They all stare at me with their natural moods. "We're hunting down a Cabal commander, Valus Ta'aurc. We need to find him, take him down, and enter the Garden's Spire."

"It can't be that easy then," said Carolina. "Otherwise you wouldn't need us."

"Exactly," I replied. "First we need to access the Cabal database that's located at their vehicle bay. Once we access it, we'll find their lieutenants and take them down without drawing their attention. Once we do that, we head to the Legion's mobile base and take down Valus, hopefully he'll be there. Once he's eliminated, we'll access the database and activate the Spire from there. When that's done, we'll locate the Spire and charge the Gatelord's eye. Once it's charged, I will finish the rest by going into the portal and destroy the Black Garden's heart, alone." Then I sigh. "However, I understand if you don't want to join me in this. This isn't your fight."

Marcus speaks muffled, having food crumble out his mouth a little. Violet scoots to the side, glaring at him. We all stare at him in confusion and in slight disgust. He clears his mouth.
"Sorry," he says to Violet. "Of course it is our fight, we're all Guardians, fighting the for the same cause, fighting the same enemy."

"I agree," said Indigo. "Besides, Felix and I owe it to you."

"I'll do it, for you and because I'm bored," Carolina adds.

I stare at Violet. She stares back. "I suppose I can join on your quest, Delicate Flower," she said.

I smile. "Yes! Now, let's pack up and leave at dawn.

+ + +

At dawn, we're all in orbit in my ship, loading our weapons, packing for food and supplies. Everyone had their stuff ready as we landed on Mars. We exited out into the cold night with stealth. We walk instead of sparrows because of the noise and attention. Eventually, we settle down somewhat near a Cabal outpost. Rocks were surrounding us to make sure we couldn't be seen, same goes for the campfire we had. We circle the fire as half of us sleep, while the other there watches on guard for anything. I slept first along side with Indigo and Carolina. Once the first hour passed, Violet, Marcus, and Felix slept in as Indigo, Carolina, and I took a turn being on guard. But really nothing was happening, so we talked quietly instead.

"So, Carolina, what makes you a Guardian? Why do you want to be one?" Indigo asked.

She takes a deep breath and stares at her helmet. "Well. Let's just say that I fight to honor the ones before us. To hope that the day that destroyed the family that my family had will never return, but I train, fight, and learn everything I can, in case it does come back."

That was pretty deep. I couldn't fully understand what she meant by, "family that my family had."

Carolina snaps out of whatever she was imagining. "So what about you, miss Arcane?" She asked smirking. "A heiress like you that has a family that produces such fame?"

Indigo laughs. "Okay, listen. I'd rather die with an adventure in my life, than die knowing all I did was produce Omolon bullet juice."

"So you'd put up with conflict and survival, than rich and fame?" Carolina asked.

"Well, everyone in my family approved... except my dad. He didn't like the way the Russia Tower system worked, nor did he like his own 16 year old daughter putting her life on the line," she said. "My sister can do it, why can't I?"

Carolina nods and agrees. She then turns to me and asks the same thing before. "What about you, Crimson? Why be a Guardian?"

"I uh... I dunno. I do it because it's fun and I want to be a hero just like the Alpha Guardians," I answered.

Indigo stared at Carolina as she stared back.

"That's good that you have such high achievements like that, Crim," said Carolina.

"Yeah, it is," I yawn. "Well, I doubt we'll deal with Cabal tonight, things have been quiet tonight, so Ima catch some sleep, goodnight." I lay on my side, facing away the fire and towards the rocks that nest us.

After sleeping for a while, I wake up but remain in sleeping position and eavesdrop on Indigo and Carolina's convo. Then they mention me.

"Someone needs to tell her sooner or later," said Carolina.

"Let her be, she's just a kid," said Indigo.

"A kid? She's only one year younger."

"Yeah, but she thinks highly on her dreams. I mean this roughly, but let her realize that sometimes, dreams don't come true."

I didn't say anything, I wanted to though. They think I'm just an overachieving child? Maybe they're right... either way, tomorrow is a new day, in the end, we'll see what we become.