January 1st,1961

I woke up early to help with breakfast. "You know you don't have to do this" Mrs.Crushal said. "It's my birthday... might as well do something to keep the light of today" I replied. "Ok.. but when I start making your birthday breakfast you need to step out" Mrs.Crushal replied. I did the dishes and mixed the pancake batter then I went back to the room. Amanda was the only one awake when I got back. "Couldn't sleep?" She asked. "Yep.." I replied depressingly. "Come on.. try to be more happier" Amanda said. "Ehh...ok" I said. As soon as all the other girls woke up, we went to the kitchen. It was like an animal stamped. Mrs.Crushal got out a huge stack of pancakes with icing and sprinkles and lit the candle on top. Everyone sang happy birthday as I wondered what to wish for. I knew what I truly wanted was to have my parents back. But that was never gonna happen. I wished to be adopted as I blew out the candle. As soon as that happened the TV said "Happy New Year from The White House." Mrs.Crushal is the best cook ever. Later on in the day I go sit in the bay window of our huge room while the other girls are outside. I see Amanda wave to me and I wave back. Then she comes running to the house. "Why won't you come outside?" Amanda asked. "I'm just a little depressed" I replied. "What happened to your parents? I know it happened on your birthday but what happened?" She asked. "A year ago today my father got a little to drunk. He was angry. He came home and attacked me first. Then my mother attacked him as I grabbed the phone and called 911. He had gotten my mom on the floor, grabbed a rifle and shot her. He saw me with the phone and he yelled at me to drop it and it did. He shot my leg. By the time he heard the police cars and the ambulance, he shot himself in the head. They found me on the floor alive, but my parents were dead. I was splattered with blood, scratches and a black eye. That's why I have this crutch. They were never able to fully heal my leg" I told her. She sat there, shocked. "I'm so sorry" she said as she gave me a hug. I shed a tear and replied "It's ok." Later on that night, Mrs.Chrushal made a birthday cake. I blew out the candles and wished for my parents back. At 7 now, I've gone through way to much. Being adopted would give me a chance to start over.