03 - king

K I N G

Sweat drips between the hollows and dips of my back muscles as I throw a punch towards my chuckling opponent. The man dances from foot to foot teasingly.

A barely noticeable growl rips from my throat.

'I will rip off his head and feed his entrails to the pups. He shall make for good protein.'

I ignore the competitive voice beneath my skin, blocking Lazarus out and spin on my heal, my claws extend and rip through navy cloth before retracting seconds later, smug satisfaction taking over my face.

Knox' face crumbles as he looks down at this torn shirt.

"That's the fifth shirt this week!" He splutters and glares at me. I quirk a brow in silent question, smirking. "It's only Monday." He growls.

"Guess you're just going to have to be quicker." I mutter, shrugging when his mouth drops open in incredulity.

'You could've made him beg for his life, human.'

"It's okay, babe, maybe you should just workout without one." Knox' mate, Adelaide, croons sweetly as she appears at the front door, staring out at us - or more specifically - her mate mischievously as we train outside. Her black hair is pulled back into a sleek ponytail. She smirks as Knox twists his lips into a smile, her up-tilted eyes twinkling with mirth.

I roll my eyes and clear my throat. "This isn't the time for flirting." I mutter quietly, looking up at the morning sun, feeling the touch of it bathe my skin.

Knox snorts, looking over to Adelaide, "It's okay, babe, he's just upset that he's lonely and getting old."

"I'm eighteen not eighty." I grunt. "And I'm two months older than you."

"Hey! That's a very long two months." Knox mutters, turning to walk closer to Adelaide.

Adelaide rolls her eyes and stalks towards us, a petite girl strutting by her side, short black hair brushing her collarbones.

Brea glances warily around the room, dark brown - almost black up-tilted eyes not missing anything.

They settle on me, and she straightens her spine and nods her head at me, her eyes shining with both respect and fear.

The beast inside me practically grins at the show.

I return the gesture and stalk towards my bottle, taking a sip of water and ridding my body of my shirt. I lean back against the wall, letting the suns scorching rays stain my skin with its touch.

Despite Breas' shy demeanour, she's one of the best fighters we have ever had in our pack. Her sister and her were humans. Adelaide, after being mated to Knox, gradually turned into a Lycan, like Knox and myself. Brea though, is a werewolf, a half human, half Lycan hybrid.

Dried grass and leaves crunch under heavy footfalls and my grey eyes flash open, the beast within glaring out through shadowed eyes, marking the spot the noise appears from, only retreating at the familiar scent of the person.

Orion dips his chin in greeting, stalking slowly towards me, face impassive as I walk towards him and meet him halfway. His body stands straight, the man all cautious moods and serious demeanour, blue eyes flicking around the training grounds.

"Alpha."

"Orion, what did you find?" I ask my Beta.

"A body was discovered just outside the town limits." He mutters lowly, keeping his voice monotone.