11 - ariella

A R I E L L A

Blood coats me like a second skin, cracking with every movement I make but I don't stop.

My bare feet were practically skin and bone with how much trauma I had inflicted on them while I ran through the woods, adrenaline and fear the only thing keeping me going.

Sticks slap against me, dirt spraying up in my wake, my breathing harsh and painful in my throat.

My shoulder slams against the trunk of a tree, stopping me instantly and I breathe out a wheeze, almost crashing to the floor from exhaustion but I blink the spots away, staring through the opening of trees at the house that sits in front of me.

Slowly I make my way to the front door, my footsteps sinking into the grass at my feet before I'm stumbling up the steps and knocking on the door.

It takes minutes for it to open, minutes where my heart feels like it might beat it's way out of my chest but when the door opens and the man on the other side looks down at me, I see his face drop.

"What happened?" Jax demands, opening the door wider and I slink inside, feeling out of place in the uni house in my blood soaked clothing.

"We were attacked, mum and dad, they-" I almost choke on the words as I try to force them past my lips. "They're dead."

"Where's Oakley?" By the shattered look on his face I know he already knows, and soon a film takes over him, a hardness encasing my brother before he reaches past me and grabs the keys off the hook. "Get in the Ute, I'll be there in a minute."

He doesn't wait for me to move or say anything before he's bounding up the stairs and I'm heading the Ute. Minutes later, he's hopping in, a duffel slung over his shoulder.

"Tell me everything."

"It all happened so quickly-" I gasp out, "we didn't stand a chance, they-"

"The Venerer." Jax supplies, saying the name I'd heard my mother utter seconds before they'd taken her life."

"You know what they are?" My gaze is glued to the side of his face, trying to see into his thoughts and he looks towards me before slamming a fist against the steering wheel.

"Fuck!" The swear leaves him swiftly, so much anger woven into the word. "I fucking hate them for keeping you in the dark." He turns the car harshly with his anger, my shoulder slamming into the window.

"Jax!" I tell, "what is going on?! Who were they?"

"The Venerer are a species that were created to hunt the fel. They've been around almost as long as our species has, and they've almost eradicated us-"

"But I've never heard of them, how could what you're saying be true?"

"Because mum and dad thought it would be better yo keep you and Oakley in the dark, we hadn't been attacked in year, not since I was a child."

"But-"

"I can't talk about this right now Ariella, we have yo get somewhere safe?"