10 - king

K I N G

I watch her walk away, my heart beating too fast in my chest. Knox by my side.

His voice is a cold splash of water, forcing me to rip my eyes from Ariella and look at him.

"So why are we letting her go without answers?" Knox voice is hard, "She was with the wolfsbane-"

I cut him off, "She's my mate."

His head snaps my way, eyes blown wide. "What? That's impossible."

"I felt it snap into place when my skin touched hers," I say, watching her and Orion until they disappear into the tree line. "It's possible."

"She's not a Lycan or a werewolf, and-"

"She's not human." I whisper, my eyes narrowing in thought.

I just don't know what she is.

"I've never heard of one of us being mated to anyone other than a human, wolf or Lycan."

"Neither." I turn, stalking back into the house and down to the basement where the wolfsbane is kept.

Now that my Lycan knows who she is to us, her scent is like a drug, filling my lungs completely.

I breathe out slowly, savouring the feeling.

"Oh, you're done for." Knox laughs, "fuck, this'll be fun."

"Shut up."

I look down at my wrist, my Lycan grinning smugly inside, gazing through my eyes at the handprint on my wrist, singed into my skin from the wolfsbane.

'She's marked us.' The Lycan says proudly, his voice a rumble in my mind.

I close my eyes, 'no she hasn't.'

'Then what do you call her handprint on our skin? She has claimed us.'

I don't bother fighting with him, turning back to Knox.

"We need to find out why she was in here. What she wants with the wolfsbane."

He throws his head back, a short laugh exiting, "That's your job, Alpha, the little thief is your mate."

I don't reply, feeling both pride and curiosity take over me.

• • •

"You know you seem kinda creepy watching her house." Knox says, stepping up to my side.

"Go away." I mutter, flexing my shoulder against the tree.

"What is she?" Orion mutters, his gaze glued to the house.

"I don't know." I hush, continuing to watch the house for any movement.

"Vampire?" He questions.

"They're extinct."

"Maybe not." Orion mumbles.

I stew in my thoughts for a moment, my two friends by my side before Orion breaks the silence.

"Why are you here?"

I don't reply, narrowing my eyes as a shadow moves in the window but it's only a tree swaying in the wind.

Once I realise this, my body relaxes, and I blink.

Knox chuckles and I slowly turn my face to him, "You can't leave can you?"

I don't answer and Knox laughs. "Oh, this is priceless, your Lycan isn't letting you leave."

'The violent creature is mine. Tell the one named Knox to fuck off.'

"He wants her."

'That is not what I said.'

"So do you." Orion mutters.

"It's not that easy."

'Stalk her. Scent here. Bite her. Mate her. Fuck her. Easy.'

I grind my teeth at my Lycan, 'easy for you to say, your not the one driving'

'Then hand over the reins, young one.'

I narrow my eyes at the name before turning my attention back to the house.

"So what's next?" Knox asks, "You've obviously touched, and the stalking has begun."

"Scent." I trail off. "I haven't got that close to her since we touched."

"Good luck with that one, she doesn't seem like the type to let you bury your nose in her neck, with your teeth so close to her jugular."

I breathe out a sigh, "No, I doubt she'll make it easy for me."

"I mean how hard could it be, if you're feeling this, surely she is too?." He slaps me on the back and begins to leave. "I'll bring you a coffee in the morning, don't hurt yourself while you stalk her, and try to get some sleep before school."

"Go away." I growl and he laughs again.

"C'mon Orion, let's leave the Alpha to his stalking."

I stare back at the house, my thoughts on the woman inside, my mate.

If she even wants me.

'She has marked us. She wants us.'

I look at the handprint on my wrist, still there from when she's wrapped her hand around me after touching the wolfsbane, the scarring no closer to going down.