vii.

"I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THIS, 'LENA

"I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THIS, 'LENA." Violet muttered nervously.

She and Elena sat with their backs against the wall of the basement, waiting for Elijah to wake.

It had been about 10 minutes since Elena pulled out the dagger and about 5 since said doppelgänger woke up Violet. The blonde was not happy to say the least. After waking up in the middle of the night because of that dream and then not being able to fall back asleep for hours, Violet was in no mood to get up and deal with more Original drama.

"You wanted to find out why you can't die right? Elijah is your best chance to find that out." Elena persuaded. Violet sighed in defeat. Her friend was right. At the moment, Elijah is the only one who could give her the answers she needed.

The room fell silent as the two stared at the currently desiccated Original. Suddenly, Elijah's body began to move, his back arching violently as his muscles cracked.

The two girl hurried over, kneeling beside him and attempting to calm him down. "Elijah. Elijah, shh, it's okay."

The Original looked up at the brunette with wide, disbelieving eyes. "Katerina."

Looking at her once more, Elijah's body fell limp as he seemed to go unconscious for a few seconds before his body lurched once again. He stood up, gasping for breath as his bones popped. "I can't-I can't breathe!"

Elijah stumbled to the ground, holding himself up at the last minute. "What's happened to me?"

Violet moved out of the way quickly as Elijah sped to the door only to be blocked by an invisible barrier. The girls go to help him, holding him up as best as they can. "I can't-I can't be in this house."

Realization dawned on Violet. "You haven't been invited in." Elijah looked up at the girls. "You need to get me out of here." Before either of them could move, the vampire sped out of the house, the girls following quickly after.

When they finally reached him, he was crouched down on the ground in the doorway of the entrance. He stood to lunge at the girls but was once again stopped by a barrier. Breathing heavily, Elijah glared up at them. "What happened?"

Violet and Elena shushed him, pointing up and then to their ears. "We'll tell you. Not here." Elena spoke quietly. "Can I trust you?"

"Can I trust you?" Elijah whispered back with an icy tone.

Taking a deep breath, Elena held out the dagger that was previously buried in his heart. Hesitantly, Elijah took the dagger in his hand, giving the teenage girls a weary look.