Ghost Hunt: Tea

Kazuya Shibuya x Mai Taniyama

Fandom: Ghost Hunt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   Mai had mixed feelings about Mondays.  She liked to think optimistically– that this was the start of a new week, with new opportunities both in school and at her job.  However, Mondays always seemed to be the days that set her off... to Mai, something bad– no matter how small– always seemed to happen on the day.  Therefore, she retained a positive outlook but knew what to expect.

   She arrived just on time at the office, swinging open the door reading 'Shibuya Psychic Research.'  With a spring in her step, the teenager set her bag down off to the side, glad that her teachers didn't assign any homework.  She knocked lightly on her boss's door, entering when she heard the faint reply.  Mai held in a dreamy sigh as she asked what kind of tea Naru requested.

   "Earl Grey will do."  No please, short and blunt; honestly, Mai wasn't surprised.  She stepped into the mini kitchen, huffing heavily in annoyance as she contemplated her situation.

   Kazuya Shibuya– also known as Naru the Narcissist, a name given to him by Mai since she thought it fit his personality– was a young and handsome man.  His clothes were mostly black with a hint of very dark blue in his shirt.  Mai couldn't deny that she found the man attractive, but her dream was quickly crushed by the fact that this man was her boss– and by the fact that he was into someone else.  The brunette sighed in a dejected manner as she waited for the water to boil.

   Meanwhile, Naru was having conflicting thoughts of his own.  Monk, a fellow spiritualist from Mount Koiya, had lectured him about how Mai was a woman– no matter how stubborn and loud– and was to be treated as such.  Thinking back, Naru really couldn't recall a time when he actually treated Mai as his equal.  Well, the teenager thought, I treat no one as an equal.

   But as Naru's mind continued to dredge up all of the times he had bluntly ignored or treated Mai wrongly, he couldn't ignore them.  He rubbed his temple in irritation, an action that didn't go unnoticed by his assistant, Lin Koujo.

   "Naru, are you feeling alright?"  His voice was soft yet firm, and the younger male nodded in confirmation.

   "I'm fine."  Though Lin could tell all was not well, he didn't push the subject, instead opting for pursing his lips in suspicion before turning back to his computer to work.  Naru was glad his assistant didn't push him– he didn't have a ready excuse at the moment.  When he heard a knock on his door, he raised his eyes only for a moment to spot Mai walk in, balancing two cups of tea on a medium-sized tray as she walked forward steadily.

   "Here you go, Naru."  She said, cheerfulness naturally seeping into her voice.  The older teen's eyes never strayed from Mai as she gently placed the cup on his desk, turning and heading into the back room in order to give Lin his tea as well.  When she reentered his office, Naru sighed as he returned his gaze to the papers in front of him.

   "Thank you, Mai."  The brunette froze for a moment, not sure if she heard her boss right.  Turning and glancing back at him, she blushed lightly and rubbed the back of her head.

   "No problem, Naru!"  Before he could say anything in reply, Mai was already out of the office, closing the door quickly but softly as her cheeks rapidly lit up like a Christmas tree.  She hugged the tea tray to her chest as she leaned on the counter in the office's kitchen.  Did Naru just... say thank you?  She shook her head.  No, no, Naru doesn't ever say thank you...  Her blush deepened as she raised the tea tray to cover the bottom half of her face as her gaze wandered toward the ceiling.

   Maybe one day he'll treat me as an equal...  Mai chuckled and shook her head.  Get real, Mai.  Naru, treating someone as an equal?  Sure, when pigs fly!  As she busied herself with putting away the tea tray and beginning her everyday work around the S.P.R office, Mai smiled softly to herself as her mind wandered back to her boss.

   I'd like to think that one day Naru will treat me as an equal...  But he'll have to start with showing more emotion than just his blank-faced stare all the time.  She chuckled at the thought.

   "Mai, what are you laughing about?"  The brunette startled slightly at the sound of her boss's voice.

   "It's nothing, Naru!"  She called in response.

   Maybe she did, in fact, like Mondays after all.