Chapter 13

Travis

Travis's back healed up in no time. It only took a night, actually.

The first full day that the three were back from camp went by quickly. Travis and Connor mostly laid in their beds.

Travis had wanted to go visit Katie, but he figured that she had had enough of him and decided to give her a break.

He really wanted to see her, though. It was embarrassing how hard it was for him to ignore the urge he felt to go to her every time his mind wandered.

Something happened on that quest between the two of them. Right?

Maybe he just wanted to think that something happened.

Besides, why would Katie ever look at him as more than an annoying pest? What had he done besides tease her?

Travis didn't like the way that his stomach felt when he thought about these things.

Was this what lovesick meant? Was Travis actually lovesick? He had always had a crush on Katie, but it was never this bad.

Travis skipped the bonfire that night. He wasn't feeling up to going. Connor wasn't either. The two of them stayed in the cabin.

Travis was busy laying in bed and reading a book about some harry kid who lived in stairs when a figure walked by the cabin window. He looked up to find it was Katie.

Without even thinking, he got up and got out the two funny glasses that he had stolen from Jolly Jordan's.

"Where you going?" Connor asked.

"I, I just need some air."

Connor nodded and Travis started for the door.

"Hey Travis?"

Travis turned. "Yeah, man."

"Make sure you don't screw it up. You aren't going to find another one like her."

Travis was shocked at how obvious his feelings were.

He just smiled at his younger brother. "I'll be back soon."

"Take your time."

Travis stepped out into the cool air and followed the direction Katie was walking.

He nervously played with the two pairs of glasses in his hands. Katie didn't know that he stole them, he hoped she'd like that he took them, instead of get mad at him.

Travis watched her walk up to the dining pavilion. He stopped and watched her for a moment. She gracefully sat down at the Demeter table and faced the Sound.

Travis knew what the dining pavilion was famous for.

So many relationships had started there. Silena and Beckendorf, Percy and Annabeth, Leo and Calypso. Travis was positive that Katie knew about them too. If he sat down with her would she leave?

There was only one way to find out.

Travis marched his way up to the pavilion. He stopped a few steps back.

His head was telling him to turn around, but he kept going.

As he came to stand next to her, Katie turned and smiled. "Hey," she greeted.

"Hey," Travis said back. "Mind if I sit?"

Katie scooted over. "Not at all."

Travis sat and looked out at the water for a little bit. "How come you aren't at the bonfire?" Travis asked.