Chapter 23

Matty dropped Amber off at the agreed location on the outskirts of the little town that they lived in. Amber was paranoid that someone would catch her getting into Alex's car and word would get back to her father, or even worse, the school, so she demanded that they met somewhere at least thirty minutes away from the school and either of their homes. 

Matty was heading to London anyway so he offered to drop her off, for which she was grateful. Matty soothed her nerves without really doing anything. Having him beside her seemed to wash her in calm. They chatted about their plans for that weekend as before Matty pulled up behind Alex's car in the parking lot of the cafe that they agreed to meet at. 

"If you need anything, just give me a call, okay?" Matty told Amber before they got out of the car to meet Alex. 

Amber threw him the warmest smile she could muster. "Thanks. You too, although I doubt I'll be on your mind when you get to see Lindsey for a whole weekend." 

Matty's smile didn't quite reach his eyes and Amber could feel the heaviness to his expression. She reached over and squeezed his hand. 

"You still have her in your life, that's the most important thing, Matty," Amber reminded him. 

He nodded and squeezed her hand back. "You're right. We'd better get you to your man. He looks impatient."

They both turned their gazes to the windshield to see Alex leaning against his car with his arms folded across his chest. He was wearing a new navy sweater under his black leather jacket with a pair of jeans. Amber couldn't help but marvel at how lucky she was to call this handsome man her boyfriend. Her heart fluttered slightly as he glanced over to the window and perked up instantly when he caught sight of her. His uneven smile made her tingle all over. 

"I want you to meet him," Amber told Matty as she opened the passenger door. 

Matty shrugged. "Sure. Do you want me to threaten him?" 

Amber slapped his arm playfully. "No! Be nice, Matty." 

They got out of the car and walked over to him. Matty nodded at Alex with a polite smile. Alex stuck out a hand for him to shake. 

"Hey, man, I've heard a lot about you," Matty said, casually shaking his hand. 

"Matty, right? Amber's told me a lot about you too," Alex answered. "Thanks for dropping her off. I mean I would have picked her up but... well, you know."

Alex trailed off awkwardly and Matty's eyes widened in alarm as he sensed the situation. 

"I'd better get going, I've got a long drive ahead of me."

Alex seemed grateful for the change of subject. "Right. Well it was good meeting you. Ambs, I'll be in the car." 

Amber nodded and threw him a smile but he seemed dejected as he got into the driver seat. 

Matty chuckled when Alex was out of earshot. "I didn't need to threaten him, it looks like he was already intimidated." 

"That could have gone better," Amber admitted with a sigh. "He's normally so confident." 

Matty shrugged. "Maybe you bring that out of him. You'd better go cheer him up so he doesn't go drive himself off of a cliff in embarrassment." 

Amber rolled her eyes and held her arms out for her hug. Matty enveloped her in his long arms for a moment. 

"Thanks for everything," she mumbled into his chest. 

"Don't worry about it. Now go have fun with your boyfriend," Matty told her as he released her.