Pain

Why is it, that we yearn for another to stand beside us? Why is it that the unsuccessful remain unsuccessful? Why is it the lonely stay alone yet those who never struggled to have friends will always be surrounded by them?

The human race operates in small and sometimes large cliques. The popular stay popular, the geeks stay geeks, the goths stay goths, and the outcasts, those who fit no category, will struggle to fit in with any crowd. They yearn for companionship yet even among outcasts cliques are formed and there are few who still are apart when amongst their own kind.

When this happens, the person will start to turn inwards and find only darkness, they will find no light in their soul as no one has been beside them to shine it upon them. Some once had friends, and watched as they slowly slipped away. Now they hold remnants of light. Memories of times past they cannot let go of.

These memories will only hold them back yet they cling to them so desperately as they were the only happy times they have had. When one spends each day alone, only their own thoughts to occupy them. They begin to lose a part of theirselves, it chips away until the original them is no longer there, and they continue on, mere husks of what they once were.

This is what happens to the outcasts, to the loners, the downtrodden. The abyss eats away at them until they lose hope and the light fades from their eyes. That light is something man cannot restore once gone. It is something that once lost, cannot be found. Once our souls are empty, there is no hope for us. And we simply wait, we wait for the darkness to claim us. And for the pain to disappear.