Chapter FOUR

Amy spun around, her heart racing as her eyes caught the movement by a fireplace, which sat by a large oak desk. Duke Wardington.

The duke stared at her, his green eyes so much like his sons that it made Amy's chest hurt. Surely, no man had aged better than he. It was no reason Nathaniel would offer Amy such a scandalous position in his life. He was no better than the man who'd sired him.

Wardington set the papers in his hand down on the table and then said, "Dinner ended. The ladies are in the tea room."

Amy looked toward the door. "I should join them then."

"Wait."

Turning to him, she could see his eyes narrowed. "Are you sure we haven't met before?"

Amy frowned, "I'm sure, Your Grace."

He nodded, "You simply look very familiar to me."

Amy looked nothing like her mother. Her mother had been beautiful, so she was sure he had her confused with someone else.

His next words broke into her thoughts, "Did Nathaniel find you?"

Amy's head snapped up to his. Her eyes wide, giving herself away.

"Yes, then." Wardington nodded and grabbed the papers on his desk once more. Walking toward her, Amy couldn't help but be impressed by the way that Wardington moved. He had a stride that spoke of his power, distinguishing him from all others, titled or not. He came to a stop five feet away from her. "Did he proposition you?"

Amy looked away.

A flash of something went over his face. Disappointment? "Well, Miss Ott, I hope you know what you're getting yourself into. The outcome from the affair may not be what you're expecting—"

"I told him no." Then she backed away from him, not pretending to hide her glare, all the while wondering what the matter was with this family. Obviously, they'd all heard one too many a 'yes' over the years.

Surprise played in his eyes. "No?"

Amy gave a hard nod.

Wardington's lips spread into a grin, and then he laughed. Loudly. The noise filled the room, and the intensity of it forced the man nearly to his knees. At first Amy believed him to be laughing at her. After all, she was very much ruined for the seasons, destined to be a spinster or marry below her new station in life. But moments later, his words reassured her. "Oh, I would have loved to see his face after that."

"Well, I hope never to see his face again!" Amy gasped and covered her mouth, not understanding the woman she was becoming.

Wardington laughed again and then when he sobered, his face transformed into something... dark. "Oh, I do like you, Miss Ott."