Chapter EIGHT

Leaving the majority of the party, they found themselves walking down a well-lit hall, which featured paintings from Athens. The music too changed the further they went down the hall. The English symphony switched to harps and flutes, transporting the visitors to a time and land far away. They followed the tranquil sounds until they got to the prize.

A large stateroom had been set out like a museum, featuring paintings, miniature architectural replicas, and backdrops with actors all giving the impression of Ancient Greece. Even the walls had been covered with paper that made one forget they were at a party in London.

Amy closed her eyes and smiled at the smell of olives. It was magical.

They all walked over to the first exhibit, which showed a woman posing in her Grecian robes, a dog at her side.

"She is Artemis," the earl whispered in her ear.

Amy smiled, "I know."

He frowned, obviously caught off guard. "How can you tell?"

She pointed to the dog, "She's the goddess of the hunt." She then pointed toward the sickness and tragedy displayed in the backdrop behind her, "She's also the goddess of plague."

"And a virgin." Came the reply from behind them.

Amy turned to Nathaniel and couldn't help but to grin. "You would know that fact, my lord."

Nathaniel stood alone while Christa and her mother turned to look at another painting.

The earl laughed. The sound of it was heavy and masculine. "It's probably the only fact he does know about the goddess."

Nathaniel crossed his arms. "I know a little more, my lord... Great is Artemis of the Ephesians."

Amy's smile brightened.

The earl asked, "And where is that from?"

Amy answered while staring into Nathaniel's eyes, "The Bible."

The earl looked between them in disbelief. "The Bible?" he snorted. "No. Truly?"

Christa popped up then, coming to stand by the earl. "My lord?" she asked him. "I was wondering about a statue over there." She pointed to the other side of the room. "Do you know anything about it?" Her pale blue eyes stared at him intensely.

The earl lifted a brow and then took her hand into his arm. "I'd be delighted to show it to you, my lady." And then they walked away.

Amy was surprised as she watched Sally follow behind them, leaving her and Nathaniel alone—but not truly alone, since they were indeed in a room scattered with people here and there, but still... For the first time, Amy noticed just how dim and glowing the candle lights were and how soft the harp music played.