Chapter 4: The Big Show

They stood there watching. I took over 10 minutes doing final checks on the power, controls, gears, blah blah stuff you won't understand. :)
"Can you start this thing already?" Aban yelled, impatient. Everybody in the cafeteria turned in our direction from Aban's voice.

"Sorry." Aban whispered to the attentive crowd.

"Just..a..sec..." I said. I pressed a big green button and some blades began to whirr.

"Yeeeaaahh.. We're in business." Stupid said.

The flying car was a prototype of an actual flying car. It was small, like a toy car. But instead of a piston engine, I used a lot of motors and gears. I had the designs of how the car would work on a real piston engine, which of course Stupid said won't work. The prototype was made from plastic, and the interiors were made from cork. The car was carried by four extremely grand tyres, and under the car were two cooling fans, like the ones found in laptops. But I had fitted in them exterior high power and very light motors, connected through small gears to maximize speed. At the back of the car I had fitted one very tiny motor and blades for propulsion. The car had headlamps and a horn. The tyres were of course connected to one motor for ground mobility. The car was powered by a small solar panel fitted on the roof of the car, so I needn't worry about batteries. Everything was connected to a wireless remote, with a rechargeable battery and customized with a thumbprint scanner so only I could hold the remote. :) I mean these bullies would do anything to play with my invention.
I also had a small camera fitted in front of the car, and connected to my computer so I could control the car without having to look at it (the car itself).

Enough of the nerd talk. Here in the cafeteria, I had everybody's attention when I pressed the button for the horn and the car beeped. The crowd had gathered round the table when they saw the car, and it's complexities.

"Ladies and gents, I present to you, 'The flying car'. I said to the crowd, like a magician does to his audience.

"Skip to the flying nerd.." A bored voice said from the crowd.

These people never appreciate a good show, I thought to myself.

My friends had cleared the table of their coffee mugs and plates. I started the engine, the blades beneath began to whirr softly. The crowd clapped and cheered...then stopped to see my next move. I pressed some buttons on the remote and the car moved forward and back, for several times. The crowd clapped and cheered again...

"You need a runway don't you?" Stupid asked.

"I need it to drive, I don't need it to fly." I replied with my eyes focused on the car. I pressed another knob and the whirring of the blades intensified. Slowly, and steadily, the machine began to lift into the air.

"Here we go!" Alice yelled. The crowd cheered again, even longer. I saw the looks on their faces, they were impressed.

I intensified the speed of the blades so the car went up higher and higher. The two blades were placed side by side, and turned in counter directions, so that the car was steady in the air. After some time, I switched off the blade in front and the car tilted at the front, turning around slowly and falling lightly, then when the car had completely rotated, I turned on the blades again and the car regained equilibrium. The crowd cheered again, even louder.