Chapter 7: The Letter

I picked up the note from on top the heap. Carefully, I untaped the seal and unfolded the paper into one long foolscap sheet. It had three segments, each written with different handwritings. Those were the handwritings of my former best friends. I began to read.

         ***********************
From Alice.

Hey Adam. I suppose I don't have to introduce myself, or state what it is we've collectively done. I can only say I'm sorry. And I will also offer my explanation.
I promise I didn't intend to hurt you, and I swear I'd wipe your memory of everything we've been through so that you won't have to live through the pain. The thing is, I tried so hard to like you. I'll be truthful, you disgust me. (That line hurt me a lot). Yes, you disgust me with all your nerdiness. George never did anything wrong by bullying you. He was doing what any reasonable human being would do to a topnotch nerd like you. And every minute I spent with you stung my heart so bad I'd cry in my bathroom everyday when I got home from school. So why did I put up with you? Once, I was having a talk with my father about the kids in my school, then I mentioned you and your scientific talents. He was impressed. He thought that maybe if he met you, he could help you a little. Then your parents died, and gave me the best opportunity to slip into your life; may their souls rest in peace. When my father saw your designs, he was astonished. Not only were your designs achievable, you obviously didn't know what you were doing or where you were going. So at first, he proposed to me to talk you into selling some of your designs to his engineers, but I figured it would be hard for you to accept the offer, no matter how generous it was. You wouldn't even. Your whole dumb patent dream clouded your judgements so bad. Do you know how hard it is and how long it takes to achieve a patent??? So I pointed out the setback to my father, and he thought, maybe you didn't have to sell them. Maybe you just had to lose them. And our plan to steal your plans went underway. I wish I could have made this easier for you. But even you know how strong headed you are, you wouldn't succumb to coaxing to accept any other way. I have nothing else to say, just don't sit with me in school anymore. Frank would kill you, literally. He knew my plans from the start that's why he never bothered to hurt you whatsoever. But now that there isn't any other plan, or I have no other ties to you, stay away from me. For your own safety.