Chapter 8: A New Chapter

"See all these happenings as a new chapter of your life, a new beginning."

I was talking to Jasper, and he was trying so hard to be encouraging. But right now I didn't need any encouragements. I didn't need any shoulders to cry on.
I got up and walked away. I could feel the breeze brush off across my face as I walked beside the road, wandering far from the bridge. I then halted. This was the same thing that happened to my parents. They tried to talk to me about something, and I walked out on them. Now they were dead. I did not want to walk out on Jasper, I could not risk his death because I walked out on him too. I made my way back to the bridge. Jasper was still standing where he was when he kept yelling at me to come back and talk to him.
"What? You not coming?" I yelled from the other side of the road.

"Oh.. Yeah I'm coming." He replied smiling and running across the road.
"I thought you were mad at me for trying to cheer you up."

"No. I could never be mad at you."

"Is that..is that an elephant?" Jasper quickly changed the topic.

"What now Jasper? Elephants in Uyo? Really?" I said not minding what he was so interested in.
"Jasper?" I called out as I realised his shadow was not walking with mine anymore. He had stopped behind. I turned around to look at him. He was walking back towards the bridge, for whatever reason.
"Jasper!" I shouted his name.