➟ Chapter Twenty-One

"The Joker, breaking those bullshit gender roles like nobody's business," you said with a giggle as you straightened your lab coat.

"I think I look good." Joker shrugged, looking down at the nurse's outfit.

"You do, babe," you agreed, looping your arm with his. "Especially with that red hair."

"I pull it off," Joker defended, adjusting the feminine wig.

"Of course you do." You rolled your eyes and pulled the surgical mask over your mouth as people rushed past the two of you without any knowledge of who you were because of the chaos.

You were dressed in a doctor's uniform while Joker sported a nurse's uniform, including a dress and red wig. It was comical to see him this way, but it was still oddly normal for him since he did nothing according to protocol. He just didn't care to, for that matter.

The hospital was relatively cleared out besides the person you were targeting--Harvey Dent. You made sure he would be forgotten until you could get to him and have a friendly chat. You hoped he would concede and join the criminal network, even if it was for revenge for the petty love.

"This is the room." You pointed to the closed door. Opening it, you walked inside to see Harvey Dent passed out but he appeared to be regaining consciousness. "I'll leave you to it. I'm going to have a look around," you told him.

"Be careful," Joker said almost instinctively and it caused you to smile smugly.

"I will."

You left the room and waltzed down the hallway as you heard Joker's and Dent's voices arguing. You shifted your head through the open doors of the rooms as you past, but when you reached the end of the hallway and the last room, you froze. There was a girl, maybe seven or eight, sitting on the floor clutching a stuffed animal with bandages on her arm and forehead.

"Hey," you said cautiously as an attempt not to scare her, but it seemed to be a failure when she jumped. "Why are you still here?"

"Everyone was rushing," the girl muttered with tears in her eyes.

You looked at her in sympathy and moved closer. "I'm a doctor, let's get you out of here."

You put your hand out for her to take, which she did without hesitation. You put your arm around her shoulders and guided her out of the room and down the hallway.

"What's your diagnosis?" you questioned conversationally.

"There was a car accident. My mom died," she answered with her curly blonde hair draped over her shoulder.

You felt sympathy bloom in your chest. "I'm sorry, honey. Do you have anyone that's supposed to be here?"

"No. A lady came and said I was going to an orphanage after I got out," she said sadly.

You saw yourself in the child somehow. She was so young and going to be on her own. There was a world out there that she would have to journey on by herself without the proper guidance. Hopefully, someone would find her and be able to teach her those things. Someone who wasn't anything like you were now.

"I'm sure it will be fine. You have to have hope that you will make it through the tough times," you explained lightly. "You're very brave for dealing with this on your own. That's a sign of true strength."

You rode the elevator down to the lobby, then walked her by the hand over to one of the buses. You lifted her up and shut the door behind her, wishing the girl happiness and serenity as it drove away. You hurried back in the hospital and up to Dent's room to see Joker unstrapping him from the bed as Dent let him.

"What is she doing here?" Harvey growled, flexing his stiff shoulder.

"She's, let's say, my Rachel," Joker explained.

Dent made a half-face of utter disgust and loathing as he unsteadily got to his feet. "Whatever. I'm out of here," he sneered and was able to march out of the room.

"So angry," you muttered as he walked past.

"Don't mind him, darling. He's just a little two-faced," Joker said, approaching you.

You closed your eyes briefly and shook your head. "That was horrid."

"You used to love my jokes," he complained, digging into his pocket and pulling out the detonator.

"I do," you replied, hooking your arm with his and escorting each other out of the room.

Walking down the hallway, neither of you flinched as the explosion blasted from behind you. You took the stairs down and made it to the exit of the hospital in minutes, then you strolled toward the last bus that waited in the lot. Joker fiddled with the detonator for a moment before it caused the monstrous tsunami of destruction.

You sarcastically held your hand out for him. "My lady," you said.

"Thank you, Doc." Joker cackled and took your hand to hoist himself up, but did turn to grab your hand and help you too.

No one noticed your presences as you sat in the back away from everyone and kept your heads low. Police cars whizzed by and you both were swimming in satisfaction.

"Who was the girl?"

Your head turned from the city out the window to Joker's neutral face. "Um--" you hesitated, shifting back to look out the window "--an orphaned kid. She was smart and sweet."

You felt Joker grab your hand and sandwich it between his. You locked eyes with him after taking a breath. He didn't say anything, and you were glad.

"She reminded me of me," you confessed in a whisper. "She's going to be out there by herself."

"But where are you now, huh?" Joker questioned seriously. "PhD, rich as hell--" his face softened and he squeezed your hand
"--hilarious, intelligent, beautiful, reliable, and you have me. You're not alone. You'll never be alone as long as you have me, right?"

You couldn't help yourself and kissed him fervently with a hand woven in his wild hair. Joker pulled you even closer to him and kissed back with fiery passion.

"Right," you mumble after pulling away and laying your head on his shoulder.