A Bloody Prophecy

7. A Bloody Prophecy

Eclipse combed through her long blue hair with her bony fingers as she hummed and walked down the street with Sherlock, her best friend. Sherlock's dark hair was whipping around in his eyes and he was beginning to get frustrated with it, which Eclipse found amusing.

They were enjoying the city, even though no one was around, and newspapers and other things were just scattered around the ground. It really did look like the city was dead.

The human's had been so quick to ditch it, but Eclipse remembered it being a very beautiful and prosperous place.

Had they forgotten by now? Surely not, she thought. It had only been a few months.

But if they would come back if the Gifted’s won the war, was the question.

Eclipse stopped playing with her hair and grabbed on to Sherlock's arm as they walked up to the center of Time Square, where they stared longingly at the big TV screen that had once been so active with news and flashing colors.

Sherlock looked down at Eclipse and said blankly, "You look beautiful."

Somehow, it didn't invoke a thank you from Eclipse. She knew he was forcing himself. The thing about Sherlock was that his gift was this crazy amount of intelligence, but he couldn’t really have the ability to love. No matter how smart he was, he couldn’t comprehend simple human emotions. It was the price to pay, Eclipse thought.

Eclipse loved Sherlock. He'd been her best friend for years, and he recently started referring to her as his girlfriend.

But really Eclipse was a girl in love with a boy who tried very hard to love her in return, but could not.

And she was very lonely.

"Remind me again, why you chose the name Sherlock?" She asked up at him.

Sherlock pulled away from her slightly, a little taken aback. "Well, Sherlock Holmes was a great detective, even if he was fictional. I always knew it fit."

"No really logical and complicated theory...?" Eclipse said, a little annoyed.

Sherlock knew of a few emotions, one being confused. And jeez, was he confused. "W-well, yes, but I figured you didn't want to hear."

Eclipse's arms fell to her sides and she walked a few steps ahead of Sherlock, so he wouldn't see her start to cry. But she couldn't help but shiver as the tears started to build up in her eyes.

She felt his hands on her shoulders, and then his arms wrapped around her, trying to comfort her. "I'm trying," He whispered to her, but she turned her head away from him.

And then she saw it. Just flattened against a car window.

A piece of paper, covered in blood.

Eclipse pushed her way out of Sherlock's arms and lunged for the piece of paper, placing her finger on the only dry part. It looked like someone had written something, but it was all smeared by the blood. She squinted her eyes and made out just two lines of a poem.

"The motion that tires,

sent to hell from above."

She read it aloud as Sherlock approached her, and he grabbed it from her, holding it up to the sun. "It's strange," He said after a moment. "It seems this was once a very important piece of writing." Eclipse nodded in agreement. If only it was all there...

"Perhaps we should take this to Song?" Sherlock suggested, handing the paper back to Eclipse. She put it in her pocket, and the two turned to walk back to the school. "That would probably be a very, very wise decision," She teased and laughed. Sherlock looked at her, puzzled, and she rolled her eyes.

"Oh, never mind."

Sherlock clearly was going to have to learn to be a little human. Eclipse, amusingly to herself, wondered if she hit him upside the head just hard enough, would that get rid of some of his intelligence and replace it with emotions, or at least a sense of humor.

Well, she took that back, Sherlock had a sense of humor. But it was kind of a dry, British comedy sense of humor. Maybe even less of one that that. His jokes could be compared to being very awkward. He always made the wrong jokes at the wrong time. He was the kind of guy to make a "your mom" joke around someone without a mother.

But she loved him. And she wasn't sure how, but she was perfectly and insanely okay with that.