Patrols

21.    Patrols

Liam and Josh liked doing patrols. It gave them a chance to walk around the school and just kind of goof off. On occasion they’d come across some Agents trying to sneak on to the campus, but it was nothing they couldn’t handle.

They also liked the exercise from walking around the grounds, and it was kind of exciting, like they were guards, standing and watching for an attack on a castle.

However, being the boys they were, they liked to sort of wander of and explore a bit. And this time they decided to look in the woods.

Liam slid down a path of dirt and jumped across a large puddle and he reached down as he walked to rip a flower from its burrow in to the earth. He spun around, and watched his twin, Josh, stumble and plant his foot ankle deep in the rain puddle. He covered his hand over his mouth in an attempt to mask his laughter as a coughing fit. “Oh, shut up,” He heard his brother say.

Liam held out his hand as Josh stepped out of the puddle, and he forced the water from his brothers shoes and jeans. “You’re lucky I’m here or you’d have some seriously nasty soggy socks,” Liam said with a smirk. Josh rolled his eyes. “You’re lucky I’m not in the mood to smack you right now,” He said.

Liam laughed and turned back around, hopped over a fallen tree and walked a for a few minutes. He frowned at what he saw.

It was a cave, in a way, on the side of a rather deep creek. The water rushed by at an uncomfortable speed and Liam bit the inside of his cheek. “Wonder what that is?” He asked his brother.

Josh caught up to him and shook his head. “Looks dark, looks like no fun,” He said as an excuse. Although, something about that cave was frightening. Most caves her pretty freaky, but something about that one in particular really, really bugged him.

“Let’s go back,” Liam said. He clenched his jaw tightly and said through his teeth. “To get others, and all.” Josh nodded and followed his brother back towards the school.