Doctor Who: From the Beginning Prologue

DOCTOR WHO

'From the Beginning'

by Luke Ryan Herbert

Prologue

The Doctor ran inside the TARDIS; sweat dropping from his forehead and his hearts both racing simultaneously at incredible speeds. “No, no!” the Doctor cried he held his shaking hands to his stomach. “Not now, its been too long. I can't go now?” he continued as he threw his overcoat to the ground. Finally his seventh body had met its end in the form of a rather long and bloody conflict with some old friends. As the golden regeneration energy began to escape from his body the man who could see anything and everything began to remember. All the things he had done in this body, all the great and wonderful things. But now it was the time for the eight to reign and see the wonderful sights that were to be seen in this infinite universe. Behind the glow the Doctor's face was changing slowly he began to look younger than before a fresh new start, from the beginning if you will.

Finally it had vanished, he ran his suddenly larger hands over his smooth new face.

“New face?” the Doctor screamed. He continued as he began to scratch at this interesting new skin.

“Everything is so? So new!” the Doctor approached a mirror lying on the console. He pulled it up to his face; the reflection aligned almost perfectly with his face. “Great Scott,” the Doctor revealed his new black and white hair. His eyes were interesting. The new face smooth but not his best, so far the fifth one had been his favourite. The Doctor had so many by now he just casually referred them as the sixth one or the second one. Still the Time Lord had much more to worry about than what his latest face looked like. It occasionally had its occasional memorable oddities like massive chins or very long noses but now there was another thing to worry about such as fashion, of course. The Doctor couldn't walk about with a new face in old clothes.

The Time Lord raced to his 'wardrobe' it was all there. Stacks of shirts, piles of tweed jackets and obviously hats, ties and other accessories. He leaned in for a red jacket. “Red, or is it scarlet?”, quickly he pulled it on.

“Too small,” the Doctor flung it over his shoulder and went in for a green jacket. Such a much more interesting colour than the colour red in his opinion. “Excellent olive green?” he pulled the tight sleeves over his wrists. He walked over to the wardrobe mirror and admired his new attire with a respectful smile. “Perfect, just perfect” the Doctor took a few steps back. It was wonderful how much difference a new body and jacket could make for the Doctor.

He looked up the staircase and began his ascent to the console room the heart of the TARDIS. Inside the pale console hummed the sound of time and space for all those that enter to hear; it was a sound so soothing yet aggressive. “Now where to go, I have all of the universe. Where to go first?” the Doctor thought for a while. After a few seconds he raised his right arm to his lips, “yes of course lets go somewhere random?”.

The Doctor extended his finger and pushed down on a large red switch, a switch he had not touched in a considerably long time. The journey began, the journey of the eight began.