O N E / S I X

hOLY SHIT Y'ALL DID YOU SEE THE NEW HEAVYDIRTYSOUL VIDEO

IT WAS GORGEOUS & METAPHORICAL & HECKA AESTHETIC

AKA MORE THAN ANYTHING I COULD EVER WANT <3

SOTC: Message Man — Twenty Øne Piløts
You don't know my heart the way you know my face

April was first introduced to Heidi when she was eight. It was a muddy, ugly day. The sky was the color of green tea and veggie-flavored Pirate Booty. If she had been told the world would end that day, she would have believed it.

Her father took her from the bus stop to the Jeep dealership nearby. While her mother sorted out the paperwork, they paced the lines of Wranglers and Renegades.

"Oh!" Her father pointed at a midnight-blue Cherokee. "That's one classy motherfucking gentleman." He huffed out a chuckle, kicking the tire.

April struggled to keep stride. Adding a skip to her step, she beelined for a pretty red model. "Daddy, look!" She ran her fingers over the front grill. "Momma's favorite color!"

"Shit!" A dirty look shot across the room, but her father didn't notice—and didn't care. "What a damn sexy fucker. A bona-fide Heidi Klum. Tits on wheels. There'll be plenty of hot nights with that gorgeous animal. Tail pipe callin' to me."

April wrinkled her nose. She didn't want to know what that meant.

♛ ♛ ♛ ♛ ♛

"Her name is Heidi," She told Carl, sliding into the driver's seat. Running her hand over the steering wheel, smiling to herself. "My dad thought that Klum woman was hot as fuck, and my momma agreed."

April couldn't help but notice how Carl wasn't talking to her. Her playthings were often like this on the first few days, and they were always the most boring days of her life.

She tapped the Christmas tree air refreshers hanging from her mirror. "What kinda music do you like, Carl-y?"

Out of the corner of her eye, she watched Carl rise from his distracted fantasies. He started to pick at his nails. "...I don't... I don't know...," He mused.

April let loose a laugh. "Fuck that you don't know." She popped open the arm rest, releasing a stack of CDs from of the compartment. After reviewing each one, she dropped the stack in Carl's lap. "Why don't you look through those while we wait to go."

She let her gaze wander, giving herself a moment to mull over the events of this morning. She still felt the rush—of what, she wasn't quite sure. Maybe it was adrenaline. It couldn't have been nerves. April had banished whatever feelings that incapacitated her. Whatever peeled away at her character like a fidgety kid.

She watched as her father tossed Lucille over his shoulder, with that damn theatrical-ass smirk that everyone said she had inherited. In the ghostly reflection of the car windows, she examined the frown set heavily into her face.

Whenever she frowned, she looked so bluntly angry. Like she didn't have tricks up her sleeve. So smiles worked just fine.

The cars and trucks began peeling away. April started the car, flashing a trademark quirked smile to Carl. He popped a disc out of its casing and pushed it into the slit. "Red Hot Chili Peppers," he murmured.

The quiet melody of The Zephyr Song spilled into the car, and April gave an appreciative nod. "Good choice, buckaroo."

Silence pooled between them. April always sincerely enjoyed driving Heidi. Loved how the stretch of road looked as if it was being swallowed beyond the cusp of the car's hood.