Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Jason Thomas stood talking to the Police officer. His fiancée was missing. No one had seen or heard from her in over a week. Their wedding was getting closer, but it didn't make sense to run with her little brother. The apartment looked like she had just stepped out for a moment. There wasn't a note. Her lease wasn't up for two months. So where was she? He'd called her parents, but they didn't seem to care that their children were missing. Jason watched as the cops left the apartment and walked into her room. Over the bed was that painting. The painting she called "The Goblin King". He looked at the eyes of the figure on the painting. The painting he wanted her to throw away or move it. He sat on the bed and looked at the door. "Sarah, where are you?"

Sarah sat on the lounge in her room. Hoggle stood in front of her. "Sarah, please?" Sarah looked past him to Sir Didymus and Ludo in the hallway. Sir Didymus hung his head. Sarah rose from her seat and walked toward the window. Hoggle followed her with saddest in his eyes. "Sarah, please come down to dinner. I know he ticked you, but …" Sarah turned around to face her friend. "Tricked me! Hoggle, I'm getting married in less than a month and he won't let me leave!" Hoggle glanced back at Sir Didymus. Sir Didymus came to stand beside Hoggle. "Milady, please. I know you have no reason to trust him, but he begged us to talk to you." Sarah looked up at Ludo. "He begged? I'd believe it if I saw it." Hoggle glanced at the ground and then at his friends. "Sarah, he's asking. He isn't telling you have to eat with him. I've told you he has changed." Sarah smiled at her friends. "I'll think about it, Hoggle."

As her friends left, Toby walked into the room. He watched as his sister turned away from him and looked out the window at the labyrinth. As Sarah looked out, he walked to her side. "Sarah?" She glanced over at him. "Toby, I should have been the one to tell you. Not him." Toby took his sister's hand as tears filled her eyes. "Sarah, don't beat yourself up about it. I can't blame you for not telling me. Beside I wouldn't have believed you. I would have thought you were just telling me another story." Sarah turned and hugged him. "How did you get so smart?" Toby looked up at her smiling. "I have a smart sister." The two of them stood looking out over the labyrinth.

The king was happy. Well, he had her here again. Now his plan to court her and make her see she loved him and not H-I-M. Jareth looked in the mirror in his bedchamber and his attire. It didn't look as outlandish as the things he had wore in front of Sarah before. Simple and clean. He wondered what Sarah would be wearing. He could still see her in the beautiful white and sliver gown she had worn ten years ago. Would she turn away from him again or would she turn to him? "Sarah." He glanced at the clock on the wall. Dinner was in thirty minutes. After ordering the servants to be sure Toby was feed and watched over, he had come returned to his chambers to dress. Also he had them hide all of the clothing she had brought with her. The only things left in the bedchamber were the gowns he had made for her. As he finished, he checked himself again before heading to the Dining hall.

Sarah stood in her room looking in horror at the wardrobe where her clothes had been for the last week. Nothing of hers was left in the room well except her underwear and what she was wearing. Everything was gone. As she looked around the room, Aurea walked in. "Milady, what is wrong?" Sarah glanced up at her as she looked over the bed. "My clothes are missing!" Aurea went toward the wardrobe filled with gowns. "The king requested that they all be cleaned for you. I'm sorry. Here why don't you wear one of these?" As she opened the doors, Sarah stood up ready to protest, but when she looked past her there was no white and silver dress staring at her. The gown was gone and in its place was a beautiful simple emerald green gown. Aurea took it out and laid it on the bed. Sarah rubbed a figure over the velvet of the gown. "I don't know how to put this on." Aurea looked up at her as she bent down and took a pair of shoes from the bottom of the wardrobe. "Milady, to help you dress is part of my job." Aurea rose and faced Sarah. "I don't know how to help you get of those, but I will help you get the gown on, Milady."

Sarah undressed and allowed Aurea to help her into the gown. She held her breath as Aurea tied the back closed. After sitting at the vanity, Sarah watched as Aurea brushed and piled her hair on her head. Curls fell down making her look like a princess. While she put on the shoes Aurea had gotten out, Aurea went into the hall. When she returned in her hands was a box. Aurea placed it on the tabletop and opened it. Sarah looked down at the jewelry. It glistened in the candlelight and the setting sun's light. Gold, silver, and green. Diamonds and emeralds looked up at her. Aurea picked up a silver necklace and placed it around Sarah's neck. Coming out of her daze, Sarah touched Aurea's hands. "I can't wear these." Aurea looked at her in the mirror and smiled.

She patted Sarah on the shoulders and walked out still smiling. Sarah looked at herself in the mirror. She looked simply beautiful. But why would Aurea want her to look like a princess? She was just Sarah or was she anymore? Not since that night ten years ago had she felt like this. If only the gown was white and not green. Slowly she rose and headed toward the door. As she made her way down to the Dinning hall, Sarah could swear she heard a song she heard ten years ago. A song of everlasting love and devotion to her.