Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Sarah stood in a room in the back of the church. All of her bridesmaids had helped her to dress. Now they stood in the door waiting for everything to start. The slender gown fell at her hips. As she looked in the mirror, she couldn't help to notice the pain in her eyes. Quickly she glanced away. Her friend Cassie looked at her. "Are you ok?" Sarah smiled at her. "I'm fine. I'm just getting emotional." Sarah looked out the window. Now she only had a few minutes left. Soon it would be over. Or would it? Could she really forget him?

Toby met Hoggle and Jareth at the back door of the church. Jareth wore clothing he had hoped would look normal to a mortal. Slowly they crept along to where Sarah was. Toby looked back at them. "I've got this." He held up a hand. "It should make them leave. Hopefully Sarah won't and then you go in and talk." Jareth and Hoggle nodded. The door to the room opened. Irene walked out and went opposite the trio. Toby opened the door and threw in his surprise. Smoke filled the room. All the bridesmaids came running, but before Sarah could leave Jareth ran in and closed the door. All the bridesmaids fled outside not noticing Toby and Hoggle smiling. Now it was up to the two in the room if there would be a wedding.

The smoke began to disappear. Sarah looked around her. In the gloom of the smoke, two eyes came into her view. Mismatched. She moved back toward the wall. What did he want? Or was she just seeing him? When he touched her hand, she knew. "What are you doing here?" He came closer and smiled. "We need to talk." Sarah pulled her hand away. "We don't have anything to talk about." He hung his head. "Sarah, I'm sorry." She looked at him. He truly was this time. "Sarah, I meant to tell you, but…" Slowly Sarah began to remember. He'd started to tell her something when she'd kissed him starting him off again. It was her fault he hadn't been able to tell her. "Jareth." He looked at her and smiled. Slowly he got down on one knee and took her left hand. He took off Jason's ring and threw it across the room. "I should have done this first. Sarah, would you be my wife and queen?" Sarah closed her eyes. Could she marry Jason when in her heart she knew she was Jareth's? As she opened her eyes, a sound came at the door. Looking around her quickly, Sarah smiled. "Yes." Jareth stood up and took Sarah into his arms. As they came together in a kiss, Irene and the bridesmaids opened the door.

Toby and Hoggle ran when they noticed Irene and the bridesmaids returning. Hiding around a corner, they watched them open the door. Irene started screaming. None of Sarah's friends said a word. Slowly they back around the corner. Toby turned around and came face to face with his father. "Uhmmm, hi, Dad." Robert looked at his son and his odd friend. "What is going on?" Toby looked at him and smiled. "I just saved my sister from marring a jerk." Robert looked down at his son. "What are you talking about?" Suddenly he could hear his wife screaming for him. As he rounded the corner, Toby and Hoggle ran away laughing. Sarah could deal with their father as well as her stepmother.

Jareth looked at Sarah and smiled. He turned to face the women who were entering. All of Sarah's friends stood in shock. Cassie pointed at finger at him. "It's you!" Looking back at Sarah, He smiled at her. "Care to explain how they know who I am?" Sarah rolled her eyes. "I painted a painting of you when I was eighteen. Everyone of them has seen it." Irene came and stood to the right of Sarah. "What's going on? You're getting married in two minutes." Sarah looked at Jareth. "No, I'm not." Irene turned and began yelling for her husband. Robert walked in and froze. There beside Sarah was the man from her painting. Robert moved beside his wife. "What is it, Irene?" Jareth moved beside Sarah. Now he had to deal with her family. He knew Toby was on his side, but would anyone else?

Sarah stood beside the man she loved. Now she had to tell everyone the wedding was off. But there would be one, just with another groom. She looked at Jareth and then at the others. "I'm not marrying Jason." Cassie looked around her and smiled. "Great. He's a pig. He tried to pick me up last week. He's a jerk." Sarah stood with her mouth opened. Then her father came toward her. "Sarah, I was coming to tell you don't marry him. He cheated on you. I found out, but he made me believe…" Sarah moved and hugged her dad. "It's ok." Looking back at Jareth, she smiled. "I found him. I just had to grow up."

Irene looked around her in shock. Her plan doing down in flames. Sarah wasn't going to marry Jason! Well, she would be damned if she let her marry this…this man. "I won't hear of it. You'll marry Jason. I've put too much into this wedding." Robert moved away from his daughter. "Shut up, Irene. Let Sarah be herself and not what you want her to be. She's her mother's daughter. She's not yours." Irene stood in shock at her husband. As she stormed out, Toby and Hoggle came walking in. Toby looked at his father and sister. "I think we should tell Dad, Sarah. If you're going to marry Jareth, he should know." Sarah looked at her brother and smiled. "You're right."